• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pixel shift is already old

So am I, but I'm not obsolete...;)

Olympus

Indeed, as above.

This thread started about mono conversions and the benefits to increased resolution (or not!).... and overall sensitivity to the IR and UV, by ripping off the CFA and microlenses.

Enter technology with similar aims, well for the first bit at-least!

Sony and Pentax pixel shift results in same size and resolution final files, but with better DR and detail.

Olympus and Panasonic Hi-Res Mode doubles the final pixel count.

This was interesting..if a bit out-of-date.

Pixel-Shift Shootout: Olympus vs. Pentax vs. Sony vs. Panasonic

Now I guess the Hi-Res mode combined with a Mono D850 would be interesting....:cool:

With suitable and very careful compression it should be possible to retain most of the extra detail without having unmanageable file sizes. Mono files are, of course, much smaller already!

Edited by mike_halliwell

Sony and Pentax pixel shift results in same size and resolution final files...

Not in the a7riv (and Mkiii I believe). There are two options; a 4 shot pixel shift that provides co-sited RGB colour, and a 16 shot option that quadruples the resolution - also with co-sited colour.

The sample shown above is from a 240 megapixel(!) 16 shot pixel shift.

Not something I'd need everyday, nor suitable for many subjects, but the option is there.

The Olympus Pen F digital 'only' manages 80 megapixels.:(

I looked around a bit online for that rumored Df M mentioned earlier by Brian but did not find anything.

I heard it directly from the Nikon rep, at a local camera store. I bought the Df, had the M Monochrom with me- with a Nikkor 5cm F1.5 lens on it. 300 made in Leica mount. He told me that Nikon made a Df-M, he had handled it, but they did not take it to market. I offered to pre-order it on the spot. As the Sensor in it is made in both color and monochrome, would not have been a big job.

• Like 1

If you change the sensor, you also need appropriate firmware to know what to do with it.

It occurs to me, though, that with the right firmware, one could generate monochrome images,

still with the RGGB filtering though, from existing cameras. That is, the color separation

would be removed before storing on the memory card.

Because I do find the idea interesting, of having a monochrome DSLR, even though I know

that I can convert easily in post processing. (Not that I am in the mood for paying a lot for one.)

-- glen

He told me that Nikon made a Df-M, he had handled it, but they did not take it to market. I offered to pre-order it on the spot.

Damn .... this has "group buy" written all over it. Maybe if 10 people are willing to put down $2,000 each for the pre-order it would get some attention in Japan? A Df-M with a B&W sensor in it like the D850 .... sweetness that would be.

If you change the sensor, you also need appropriate firmware to know what to do with it.

It occurs to me, though, that with the right firmware, one could generate monochrome images,

still with the RGGB filtering though, from existing cameras. That is, the color separation

would be removed before storing on the memory card.

Because I do find the idea interesting, of having a monochrome DSLR, even though I know

that I can convert easily in post processing. (Not that I am in the mood for paying a lot for one.)

Firmware- that's just typing. The Nikon microscope camera uses the same Monochrome CMOS sensor. Monochrome images are easy to process, and linearraw DNG files are simple.

DS-Qi2 | Specifications

Looks kinda fun!

They really have done all the hard work already, but ...:(

Reminds me of the quote..

"No, no, there really is no demand. You're the 6th person I've told today"....

However, to show they're really ahead of the game (not!).. try this one for size..

DS-Ri2

Slightly inconvenient as they use AC power, 24W.

The Qi2 has active cooling on the sensor.

But OK, 24W isn't so big for a power inverter to carry around.

But I also notice, that I don't remember for other cameras, specifications

of the number of electrons it can detect (up to 60000), the noise (2.2)

and dark current (0.6 electrons).

-- glen

I'm still not getting what the big deal is with monochrome conversion. At least for simple street or pictorial shooting.

For astro and scientific use, yes, I get it. For walk about shooting... huh!?

Here's a couple of cropped samples (about 6mm across from full-frame) comparing T-max 100 with a B&W shot from a 12 megapixel D700.

T-Max-100_Pentax-SPF.thumb.jpg.e141b086f84c75aebf4a812f9edcaf39.jpg

T-max 100

Nikon-D700.thumb.jpg.9dd8a2bd218726c2fac4466534f0cdb8.jpg

D-700

To me the un-modified D700 is the hands-down winner. And it's now been superceded and surpassed in all parameters by more modern digital cameras.

So why p*ss about with tricky or expensive monochrome mods? When you can get B&W quality from an off-the-shelf digital that left fine-grain B&W 35mm film coughing in the dirt over 12 years ago?

I'm still not getting what the big deal is with monochrome conversion. At least for simple street or pictorial shooting.

(snip)

Yes, for other than those, likely no technical reason.

I suppose it might be better in low light, (high ISO) without the filter loss, assuming everything else is the same.

As I noted from the specs. of the Nikon microscope camera, the noise level is 2.2 electrons.

There are some things that have a psychological reason with no logic to it.

(Not enough to convince me to buy one, though.)

-- glen