Nikon D7500 and my gang of 3

kivis

Shooting primarily with my Nikon D7500 with 3 primes.

24mm 2.8 AF-D

50mm 1.8 AF-D

85mm 1.8 AF-D

Ya I know not the latest, but they were affordable and provide great image quality.

FOV is 36-75-127

kivis

Cameras, lenses, and fotos

I've been using the 50mm F1.8 D a lot the last few months. I've always bought 50mm lenses over the years because they were cheap and excellent but then they would sit. Now it all about long walks and weight. I used it with the D50 last week and on a sunny day with little or no cropping, it looks good.

I've been using the 50mm F1.8 D a lot the last few months. I've always bought 50mm lenses over the years because they were cheap and excellent but then they would sit. Now it all about long walks and weight. I used it with the D50 last week and on a sunny day with little or no cropping, it looks good.

Glad to see an old friend like the D50 getting put to use.

• Like 1

kivis

Cameras, lenses, and fotos

I don't think I'd ever be without a manual focus 55mm Micro-Nikkor. F/3.5 or f/2.8 version, it doesn't matter which. Sharpest lens(es) in the toy box and extremely versatile. Pity there's no equivalent AF version.

AF-D lenses I could probably live without. Mediocre focussing and mediocre optics on the whole. With the possible exceptions of the 85mm f/1.8 and the 180mm f/2.8.

Agree on above, but remember that the D7500 lacks an AI follower, so no manual lens will meter with it. That's rather handy if you have old pre-AI lenses, since it also means you don't need to do any conversion, and I never had problems with guesswork/histogram metering on a D3200, but some people mignt find that an obstacle.

...but remember that the D7500 lacks an AI follower

What?

So it's not the successor to the D7000, 7100 and 7200 line then? No 'screwdriver' focus either then I suppose.

The Ai-S 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor does have the scratchy little aperture tab on the side though.

Why Nikon retained this after the ice-cold reception of it's massively overweight and underwhelming F2 auto-aperture attachment monstrosity, I just don't know. Only to repurpose it on their budget DSLRs decades later.

As I understand it the D7500 does still have screwdriver focus, and it also does have the min aperture switch that allows full metering with AF lenses that have aperture rings. That latter has been dropped on the last couple of generations of the D3x00, so they don't even meter with old AF and AFD lenses.

As I understand it the D7500 does still have screwdriver focus

That's correct.

So it's not the successor to the D7000, 7100 and 7200 line then?

Only by name and chassis, not in spirit.

24/50/85 - not a combo I'd be happy with on a DX body. I'd rather stick the 16-80/2.8-4 on one.

With the possible exceptions of the 85mm f/1.8 and the 180mm f/2.8.

I understand the latter but the former doesn't really have a stellar reputation. I owned it but rarely used it - nonetheless traded up for the G version only to not using that one much and eventually disposing of it in favor of the Tamron 90 VC macro for its much better versatility.

Te 16-80 is my walk-around DX lens, and I'd agree with Dieter, it's pretty hard to beat. Nothing against the primes, but aside from the convenience and high quality of the modern lens, I like more width than 24 gives. 16 is the DX equivalent of 24 on full frame, and that's a nice place to be.

16 is the DX equivalent of 24 on full frame, and that's a nice place to be.

That's why I never understood that most Nikon DX zooms started at 18mm :(

At last now with the Z-mount DX, Nikon released a 16-50 (not that I'd be happy with the quite limited long end) rather than the customary 18-55. I found that a versatile three-DX-lens-set consists of a superwide zoom (like the 11-16, 11-20, 10-20, or 10-24), the 16-80 (before that the - limited to 12MP-sensored-cameras - 16-85), and the 70-200/4.

You can see in the follow image that the D7500 has screwdriver AF but not aperture follower tab, such that it cannot work with any aperture ring.

https://www.ephotozine.com/articles/nikon-d7500-sample-photos-31054/images/1000-Nikon-D7500-DSLR-10_1497440381.jpg

Therefore, it is fully compatible with the OP's AF-D lenses, as long as he uses the sub-command dial to control the aperture.

Nikon only keeps the aperture follower tab on their top-of-the-line DX bodies. Apparently Nikon intended the D7000 to be the top DX body, following the D300/D300S, and the D7000 has dual SD card slots. By the D7100, Nikon openly called that their "flag ship" DX body and it has their top-of-the-line AF module at that time, essentially the same as the D3 and D4 series. However, after Nikon introduced the D500 in 2016, the D7500 is no longer the top DX body. Hence the D7500 only has one memory card slot and no longer has the aperture follower tab.