ISO trend?

When i first started playing with film cameras 3 years ago, any time i looked at digital the whole concept was "higher iso good, thus get the highest you can get". Now when i come around and have been using a digital camera the concept seems to be

"ISO bad, keep it as low and equivalent to film ISO speed as possible." IE if a film cant be found over ISO 3200 that means you cant go over 3200 on your digital camera.

My question is, whats the point of that in the end? I have made photos that unless you looked at the raw file, their is no difference wether it was shot at 800, 1200, 3000, or 18000 iso on my camera. And even then, the difference is really just from how each image displays on the camera screen when looking at the raw file.

Well the holy grail of Digital AFAIK is that a camera that gives cleaner images at higher ISOs is desirable when shooting in low light. The difference is if you can shoot at higher ISO settings in lower light you can do so with faster shutter speed and/or smaller aperture, greater depth of field. Its just part of the equation of exposure and the relationships between sensor sensitivity, aperture and shutter speed in getting a desirable exposure. Does that make sense and answer your question?

nope no help at all in figuring this out. The same "experts" that tell me to buy a camera with the highest iso rating are the ones with all the youtube videos up telling me that only a fool and a poser and a moron would try to shoot above the natural iso levels of actual film.

That is an irony as those self same idjits tell me to avoid the bridge cameras and point n shoot cameras as those normally max out at 7000 iso, and to buy at least 50k iso

Simply put, high ISO performance of digital sensors has been getting better and better.

Sensor size gives an advantage, so an APS or full frame camera will outperform a bridge/superzoom, which typically have small sensors.

Nevertheless, as ISO rises, noise increases, so best to keep it as low as possible.

My question is, whats the point of that in the end? I have made photos that unless you looked at the raw file, their is no difference wether it was shot at 800, 1200, 3000, or 18000 iso on my camera. And even then, the difference is really just from how each image displays on the camera screen when looking at the raw file.

Well, you've answered your own question: for you there's no point, so stop listening to the "idjits".

WW

• Like 2