Nikon Wednesday 2020: #17

Matt Laur

And even worse at full 5x (full frame). I need to do some more practical macro shots at some point; these aren't really showing what the lens can do once zoomed in. (Btw, I tried looking for any residual Lyrids last night, but... nothing, at least under city lighting. I hope we can go photo hunting farther afield soon. Stay safe, all.)

850_0356_openWith.thumb.jpg.ed304d03c791792e6eca4867c1cd428e.jpg

• Like 3

That's some serious OOF smearing middle/top left!

....or is it tree movement? ;)

It was a little breezy, but I think it's depth of field. I was at f/7.1, which is my normal "try to reign in the field curvature without losing everything to diffraction" aperture - but I really wanted the foreground sharp. I'd love to say it was deliberate, but I was hoping it would be less visible at the size of this thread! I do have some at f/16, but the lighting had shifted and after a while spent maintaining a sit-up position for the macro shots, I wasn't doing a very good job of keeping a horizontal horizon at arm's length, hanging over some flowers without squashing them - so this was the least bad. I'll work on it for next year, when I'm allowed to spend longer in the park. If anyone would like to donate a 19mm T/S to me, I'll try to fix it properly...

The second image is outstanding. Which 24-70 and shooting data and how many stacked images, please?

Hi bgelfand, thanks for your kind words.

I have the 24-70 F2.8 E ED IF VR AF-S. I had to look up all those letters, just to be sure. ;)

ISO 100, f8, 1/3 of a second. I think I stacked 10 pictures. But I think I took probably 70 pics trying to figure out the app...I found it not very intuitive, and placing the focus points (you place start and end points) was a bit finicky. Also I needed to learn where the best points to place them were. I had been thinking top to bottom, but when I went edge closest to me to very center it was best. I guess you figure that out from doing it enough. So, still learning. I think it's a good app if one practices more often. Also there are a couple of blurry blotches when you zoom in really tight where Photoshop didn't do such a great job, but I don't feel ready to download Helicon.

• Like 1

Hi bgelfand, thanks for your kind words.

I have the 24-70 F2.8 E ED IF VR AF-S. I had to look up all those letters, just to be sure. ;)

ISO 100, f8, 1/3 of a second. I think I stacked 10 pictures. But I think I took probably 70 pics trying to figure out the app...I found it not very intuitive, and placing the focus points (you place start and end points) was a bit finicky. Also I needed to learn where the best points to place them were. I had been thinking top to bottom, but when I went edge closest to me to very center it was best. I guess you figure that out from doing it enough. So, still learning. I think it's a good app if one practices more often. Also there are a couple of blurry blotches when you zoom in really tight where Photoshop didn't do such a great job, but I don't feel ready to download Helicon.

Thank you very much for the information.