Helios lens

If you like sharp wide open: "poor".

Mine came in 39mm mount, so I put it on an enlarger and didn't like what I saw.

If you like a dreamy, flattering portrait lens: Try it out. YouTube seems full of folks ravishing about it for that purpose.

• Like 1

Depends which day of the week your lens was made. Or whether its assembler had borscht for dinner the previous day.

Those lenses can range from excellent to Aaaargh!

I have 3 of them in 39mm LTM. 2 of them are pretty good, even wide open, while the third one is only fit for a paperweight or Lomography. The one I have in 42mm Praktica/Pentax mount is somewhere in the middle. I've seen better, and I've seen a lot worse.

However, I'm surprised your Contax didn't spit the Helios out of its mount in disgust.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

Depends which day of the week your lens was made. Or whether its assembler had borscht for dinner the previous day.

Those lenses can range from excellent to Aaaargh!

I have 3 of them in 39mm LTM. 2 of them are pretty good, even wide open, while the third one is only fit for a paperweight or Lomography.

However, I'm surprised your Contax didn't spit the Helios out of its mount in disgust.

Haha. And to think I normally use my Zeiss Planar T(!)

I have the MC Helios 44M and 44-3 (both in M42 mount) and MC 77K-4 (Pentax K-mount). Previously I had the MC 44M-7, MC 44K-4, and have tried several other versions as well. All of my copies have been fine performers that can give some much more expensive lenses a run for the money. There are anecdotes about sample variability, but that has not been my experience. The Zenitar lenses I have (ME-1 50/1.7, K2 50/2) are also excellent.

The slightly longer focal length of 58mm is nice for portraits, perhaps less useful for landscapes. Some like the "swirly" bokeh at wider apertures, some may find it distracting, but I think it depends more on the subject matter.

Edited by m42dave
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Like the others I have a few different mounts.. Had to laugh too, when you replied "Haha. And to think I normally use my Zeiss Planar T(!)"

IIRC this early design Planar spawned the Biotar , Helios and is the progenitor dbl Gaussian design..

I am for the most part a fan. The Kiev mount version Helios is very nice all around. The M42 displayed this deamy bokeh at least in the situation I shot. . The Zeiss Pancolar and the later model Planar are excellent all around. Has someone mentioned they do good in shooting people or things. It can still work for a basic landscape, but it excels closer in. While The Tessar/Skopar ruled the market through the immediate post war period, the standard kit lens by the mid 70s was a dbl Gaussian 50mm typically 1.7.

• 2 weeks later...

This Helios lens is the Soviet version of the Zeiss Biotar Double-Gauss lens. I have multiple copies of both the original Zeiss and the Soviet copy. Perhaps, I've just been lucky, but all of them except the one with massive front lens scratches have been excellent.

Here was Herbert Keppler's comparison of the original Biotar and the then (2007) contemporary Nikon equivalent

Untitled.jpeg.05b2c1c58c0ed617dbafe6f4ed7f9adf.jpeg

Modern Photography 2007-04

There's a lot of "received knowledge" out there that is not worth much.

• Like 2