Kodak HIE infrared film and EI & development time tests?

Hello friends.

A friend of mine and I have just bought our first roll of kodak HIE

infrared film and before using it I need to ask you some questions

(expensive film....:-) ). I am using a Jessops red (R2) filter with

8.0 exposure factor (3 stops). My friend is using a opaque filter, I

do not know the filter type and exposure factor but I will know

tomorrow when I speak to him....

Can I we do the standard EI and development time tests or I miss

something?. I had planned measuring a white card in the sunlight,

apply the exposure factor and do the traditional Zone I and Zone VIII

tests. Can I do it, or I should forget it and take some real pictures

in sunshine days and adjust EI and development time acording to the

results?

Thanks.

HIE is one of those films that you'll get a different answer for everyone you ask. Your meter is barely sensitive to IR, so the numbers won't mean anything unless you use a roll to calibrate it. I only shoot in full sunshine, with an opaque Wratten 87 filter. 1/8" at F32 or equivalent. Bracket by 1/2 or 1 stop either side. XTOL 1:1, 20C for about 10 minutes. The red filter will allow more light to hit the film, so maybe 1/30" or 1/60". If you're going to shoot a lot if IR, there are some good resources: Laurie White's book, and the IR websites.

For starters:

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

I have not used Kodak HIE yet but was recently at a brief seminar on printing techniques in Calgary when the discussion drifted to how Brian Henson, the presenter, had exposed his infrared work.

Brian used a number 25 filter and exposed at 1/125 sec at f11 for direct sunlight, opened 1 stop when hazy but bright enough to see a distinct shadow of his foot when he lifted his foot off the ground, and opened 2 stops when he could not see a distinct shadow of his foot.

A couple of other tips he offered were to "always" load and unload the camera in complete darkness, not to worry about keeping the film cold, and include a lot of foliage in the picture as reference otherwise the effect of infrared is lost. I believe he developed the film according to the Kodak recommendations for the contrast that he wanted.

His infrared work that he displayed? Pretty amazing.

Brian, my apologies if I have misstated anything you said.

Based on rather limited experience, the 1/125 @ f/11 with red filter is a reasonable exposure. Even with bracketing +/- 2 stops, I have come up with some dark shadows that were hard to hold detail in. I plan to try cutting back on development next time.

I'd say if this is your first roll, forget the metering, use the 1/125 @ f/11 for your red filter, and bracket if you don't feel lucky.

Ramiro,

If you want fine grain in your final prints, and this IR film has a coarse grain size, use Microdol development, 13 minutes or longer at 20C-68F. I shot many hundreds feet of this film. My Contax RTS offers quite accurate measurement of the IR radiation, but you still may need to take at least 2 pictures with different exposures. It is not necessary to use darker IR filters than common red filters. And do not include �a lot of foliage in the picture as reference� as this guy, Brian Henson, suggests. Black skies and white leaves is not what the IR art is all about. Just develop your own IR vision!

"Load and unload in complete darkness" is an absolute must for HIE for 2 reasons:

1) The film base acts like a "light pipe" - if any light strikes the edge, it illuminates the entire roll. This can be demonstrated in the darkroom with the developed negative in the enlarger - the edges of the film glow red.

2) The felt light trap on the canister is NOT IR proof. I took a finished roll out of the camera in sunlight and fogged it where the slot was, through every layer of film.

I use HIE and rate it at 400 ASA with a red (R25) filter. i use an incident

lightmeter setting that at 50 ASA to allow for the 3 stop red filter. I dev in

Rodinal 1:50, 10-12 minutes, 20 C. I don't think it is really relevant to use the

Zone System where IR is concerned. HIE has no anti-halation layer so avoid

over-exposure and don't over-develop or the highlights will be too solid.

3) During development, agitate GENTLY, otherwise you'll get surge marks around the sprocket holes.

For your first roll, whatever you decide to go with for exposure, I'd still bracket atleast +/- 1 stop. You can refine your exposure on following rolls.

I keep a body (currently an Olympus XA2) dedicated to infra-red. The 87 filter is taped so that it covers the opening in front of the film plane using mylar slide mounting tape. This way I can use the view finder in the normal way. This is important if you use a SLR body. The built in meter is set for EI 32 and the film developed in D76h for 9 minutes.