The long-awaited Nikon feature request list - part two (voting!)

Andrew Garrard

Hi all. I hate to squander any remaining good will, and I realise this is long and tedious, but... is there a chance of anyone else getting around to putting in at least partial votes if I give it a bit longer? I'm concerned that the impression a market researcher might take from even a ten-person survey might be different from a 3-4-person one - the latter feels more like a meet-up in a pub, whereas 10+ feels to me more like I actually tried to ask more widely (in what I consider to be a forum populated by experts, plus me)...

Obviously Nikon may ignore all of this anyway, but the less I make it feel that everything is my own lunatic raving (unless you all vote against something) the more authority I'd feel to go to Nikon with it. If nothing else, if I go to Nikon with something I want and they implement it but ruin the experience for everyone else... I'll feel bad.

If everyone's done already, I'll get it to Nikon rather than sitting on it, but the more data the better - and with small sample sizes, every contribution significantly affects the margin of error.

Thanks to anyone who can spare some time for this.

Hi all. I hate to squander any remaining good will, and I realise this is long and tedious, but... is there a chance of anyone else getting around to putting in at least partial votes if I give it a bit longer? I'm concerned that the impression a market researcher might take from even a ten-person survey might be different from a 3-4-person one - the latter feels more like a meet-up in a pub, whereas 10+ feels to me more like I actually tried to ask more widely (in what I consider to be a forum populated by experts, plus me)...

Obviously Nikon may ignore all of this anyway, but the less I make it feel that everything is my own lunatic raving (unless you all vote against something) the more authority I'd feel to go to Nikon with it. If nothing else, if I go to Nikon with something I want and they implement it but ruin the experience for everyone else... I'll feel bad.

If everyone's done already, I'll get it to Nikon rather than sitting on it, but the more data the better - and with small sample sizes, every contribution significantly affects the margin of error.

Thanks to anyone who can spare some time for this.

I think your vote only is worth at least 10 of mine.

:) Somehow I doubt Nikon would agree (and I don't) - but I appreciate that you've stated why you don't want to submit anything, BeBu.

A couple of suggestions that I made like GN mode, 1/3 stop display for MF lenses, distance display etc.. if Nikon would implement these wouldn't cause me to buy a camera. So I don't ask for something that isn't good enough reason for me to buy a new camera.

For the Df I actually would buy another one if Nikon would make one my way but I don't think they can because making one that I like would have very small audience. Small audience means extremely expensive.

Your vote has more weight because you're likely to buy if they make it. You're the one who is into the latest and the greatest. Nikon has their market research and I think they know who is likely to spend the money and who is not.

• Like 1

I've made a last-minute addition (slide 37) for something that slipped through the cracks: Nikon's matrix meter relies on absolute brightness (hence needing to know lens maximum aperture) so it can, for example, tell when you're photographing sunlit snow. Therefore Nikon recommends that if any filter you're using "has a filter factor of more than 1", you should use centre-weighted instead. Personally I've always completely ignored this, and shot with matrix or highlight-weighted metering even when using a polariser, but if I could tell the camera there's a polariser on there and have it tweak the matrix behaviour, I'd take it. (Although not as much as I'd like ETTR.)

I hope I've correctly moved everyone's votes around...

FYI, I've spoken to Nikon UK. They insist on starting with this being submitted by email (which I'll try to do in the next day or so), but I'll try to chase up and see whether I can get a Nikon employee invested in it. I was hoping I could find a few minutes of a manager's time, but I may have to build up to that.

They do seem to think they have a route for submitting ideas, though. If there's any sign of anything happening, I'll report back.

• Like 1