Hasselblad extension tube cocking

jim_gardner4

I have been using a Hasselblad on and off for 10+ years but have never used extension tubes. I rang a dealer who had some for sale this morning but was told he had sold the ones advertised. I had to then resort to EBay.

There are a few on there but from the photos, some seem to be in the "Cocked" position I.E. the shutter cocking disk/bar is horizontal, while others are shown with this part at an angle.

Does anyone know is this part is free to turn wherever it wants while not attached to body or lens, or does it need to be in a certain position to attach?

Thanks.

The coupling is spring loaded and latched, much like the one on the lens but with a much lighter spring. They should be attached from the camera out, and removed starting with the lens.

Very important to verify when buying these used. I've gotten several in cheap grab-bag deals that proved useless, because the drive tab spun freely (no ability to latch, disconnected from spring). It should latch when turned with a coin: if it just keeps turning, avoid and definitely do not try that extension tube on your camera. Its a relatively simple repair, but no parts are available to DIY and professional service costs more than any tube is worth today (unless you have and need one of the scarce late-model CFe tubes with electronic contacts for a 200-series metered body and CFe lens).

Orsetto, I think that's what I was getting at. There are a few on Ebay that look like they are "fired". As it happens I bought one from Ffordes Photographic. They were very helpful on the phone. Ordered Yesterday, arrived today in fantastic condition. Just tried it on the camera and it works a treat.

There are a few on Ebay that look like they are "fired".

The position of the drive key in an eBay photo doesn't necessarily indicate whether or not that tube is operating correctly. The key often gets released when a lens is removed or the tube is removed from a camera, and if sold in that state the position of the drive key could be anywhere. Agree chances are better if the key appears to be in cocked position, but that could be happenstance or a cagey seller deliberately trying to make a bad tube look functional (this is unlikely, given the low resale value and high odds the seller would get killed by eBay for doing this).

As it happens I bought one from Ffordes Photographic. They were very helpful on the phone. Ordered Yesterday, arrived today in fantastic condition. Just tried it on the camera and it works a treat.

Glad you found one that works from a seller you trust!

But do be very careful when using: these tubes are a bit Rube Goldberg and definitely one of the least-loved parts of the Hasselblad system. Always be sure to follow the proper assemble/disaaemble sequence: the tube itself is fairly easy to remove if it jams on the camera, but if it jams with a lens attached you've got a real problem (and tubes do tend to jam more often than lenses). Just as with lens mounting/dismounting: do it quickly in one fast smooth turn, don't hesitate or turn slowly because this invites jamming.