Possible light leak?

Hi,

I just got a Leica M3, and I just got the scans back from the roll I shot. For reference, I used Ilford HP5 with a Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 lens. A few of my exposures are showing a flare by the lower left hand corner. I cannot tell if this is a light leak or perhaps a lens flare? My lens does have a hood on it, btw.

Leica Photos

Looks like a leak. Run a strip of black electrical tape over the UPPER body-back join area. About 6 shots into the film, peel back about 3 inches of tape on the left side. Expose 2 or 3 frames & replace the tape. If the "flare" reappears, you have found the source. If ALL FRAMES still show the flare, check that the back itself does not have some "ding" damage. Good Luck with this little pest ! Aloha, Bill
  • Like 2

Procure a tiny keychain flashlight, one that will stay on by itself. Place inside the M3 and retire to a darkroom. Darkroom should be truly dark. Take a chair in with you. In the dark, examine the camera from every angle. If light leaks in, it will also leak out. Some leaks are hard to spot, you need to sit in the dark for 15 minutes or so, your eyes will dark-adapt allowing you to see even feeble leaks.
  • Like 2

I don't think I have any cameras with light leaks in the back, though plenty with

bellows light leaks.

I do have a Canon IID2 with a pinhole in the shutter, though. From:

The Ultimate Leica M3 Review

the M3 has a cloth flocal plane shutter like many Leica cameras, and they can get

pinholes, especially if you point the lens at the sun and don't move around enough.

A shutter pinhole in the right place might look like a light leak.

When I was young, my father had a Leica If and Canon VI, and explained the

difference between the cloth shutter of the Leica, and stainless steel shutter

of the Canon. But earlier Canons have cloth shutters.

-- glen

Light piping from some point in the camera back, not the shutter. Likely coming through where the seals have worn away.

Can also occur when a 35mm cassette is exposed to strong light, which can still penetrate the felt trap designed to keep it out.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Procure a tiny keychain flashlight, one that will stay on by itself. Place inside the M3 and retire to a darkroom. Darkroom should be truly dark. Take a chair in with you. In the dark, examine the camera from every angle. If light leaks in, it will also leak out. Some leaks are hard to spot, you need to sit in the dark for 15 minutes or so, your eyes will dark-adapt allowing you to see even feeble leaks.

That works with an old bellows camera with pinholes in the bellows. But unless you can squeeze a lightsource into the film-chamber, it's of little use with a solid-bodied camera. A light in the dark chamber (space behind the lens) is of no use in detecting a badly fitting back, because the shutter will block the light unless locked open on B or T settings.

Also a light in the cassette space may not show a gap at the takeup spool side of the camera.

The black tape all round/no tape method is probably more reliable. But a good visual inspection of the state of the camera back and light seals should reveal any potential problem. As well as tugging on the back while closed to see if there's any slack fitting.

Is there a diy solution in replacing the seals?

Of course. Dig out the old ones and replace them.

Black velvet, cording or high-density foam is easily obtainable, and usually the only tools needed are a few wooden cocktail sticks and some glue or double-sided adhesive tape. Plus a craft-knife and metal straight-edge if you go the foam route.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

I do want to add in that by looking at the negatives, the light leak is localized into the frame itself. I did not see it leak out into the sprocket holes. So is it most likely the shutter?

That might shift suspicion to the shutter. Bad light seals I would expect to fog the film all the way to the edge.

Is there a diy solution in replacing the seals?

It is a messy job, and I’ve sent out for this instead of DIY. But this place advertises they sell light seals. Look it up by camera.

https://uscamera.com/

NOTE-I’ve never used them, and am not vouching for them. You may find other sources that are better.

That might shift suspicion to the shutter. Bad light seals I would expect to fog the film all the way to the edge.

It is a messy job, and I’ve sent out for this instead of DIY. But this place advertises they sell light seals. Look it up by camera.

https://uscamera.com/

NOTE-I’ve never used them, and am not vouching for them. You may find other sources that are better.

Yeah, I think I will shoot another roll with tape on the back to see what happens. If it's still there I'll send it in to YYECamera. I understand sometimes light can leak in through the viewfinder too.