Praktica MTL 5B

Hi

I have just inherited the above camera and am struggling with it. I am able to focus the camera in and out (basics effectively) but whenever i wind it on ready for a new shot the screen goes black until you depress the shutter release button. on this the image in the view finder is clear again!

Can anyone help please?

Scott

I have an MTL5, and it is one of my favorite M42 cameras. It is also one of two where pretty much everything (including the meter) work. If you have lenses with it, this is the most important thing. You can pick up Praktica bodies pretty inexpensively (I got my MTL5 plus two Pentax spotmatic bodies, and some camera cases, all functioning generally for $24 on ebay). Spotmatic biodies and other M42 bodies are just fine also, but I do like the Practika vertical travelling metal shutter and I like the way the Practika L and M series shoot (I also have an LTL3). I would look into fixing it, but would not spend much on it, rather try and get a replacement M42 body and keep any Pentacon or other M42 lenses.
  • Like 1

If the mirror lifts up when you wind on, as Tony mentioned, then that is not normal operation. Prakticas can sometimes have issues with the mirror tension, especially if the camera has had a good jolt. If you unscrew the lens, look above the mirror on the left side of the mirror box, and you will see a little lever which you can push up gently with the tip of a pencil until it clicks and stays in the upper position. Then try to wind and fire again. Another trick that sometimes works is to try holding in the shutter release button while winding (make sure it is wound all the way). If you still can't get the camera fixed, then it may be more cost effective to get another Praktica body, as they are usually quite inexpensive.
  • Like 2