Thinking about my film days, I just put the prints and negative in a shoe box up in the top of a clothes closet. No one ever thought about losing them, well at least other than pros I suppose. I never looked a them again after making photo albums. Slides went into slide trays; also not backed up. Now that we have about 100 times more digital pictures than we ever took before, suddenly we're all worried about losing all these rejects and start backing them up in clouds and drives.

Most people I know have never had a house fire, but they all have fire insurance. It was hard to create fire insurance for hard copy negatives and slides. It's trivially easy for digital images. My second, cloud backup requires exactly zero time and work from me; it just chugs along in the background. My first backup, which is a mirrored external drive, takes me a few seconds after each upload of photos.

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people I know have never had a house fire, but they all have fire insurance. It was hard to create fire insurance for hard copy negatives and slides. It's trivially easy for digital images. My second, cloud backup requires exactly zero time and work from me; it just chugs along in the background. My first backup, which is a mirrored external drive, takes me a few seconds after each upload of photos.

I backed up all my digital photos. Originally on two copies of DVD's. Now I use a 4TB Passport drive, but no cloud.

Meanwhile, all the previous treasured film photo albums of weddings, birthdays, and vacations sit in the closet, unprotected and unbacked up, ready to burn up in a fire. Which really have value to your kids? So what I've done is scanned some of the best photos including slides and made digital slide shows on two memory cards. These were given to my daughter for keepsake. I'm also making up hard prints of some of the best pictures that she can have. No one's ever going to look at all those digital shots I took of trees and mountains. :)

• Like 2