Buying a Scanner

ericphelps

My condolence on all IOS related problems.

I suppose if I wanted to operate a scanner; I'd be willing to pair it with whatever computer it requires, hoping another less than 200€/$ would buy me something (not necessarily great just good enough for that task.

was maybe basically the right idea? I'd search for "smart phone copy stand" Or asses my wood working skills to DIY one. - A hole in a shelf board, to shoot through, might get you far.

AFAIK this thread is about digitizing 8x10" prints without any intention to blow them up further, by utilizing the gained file.

Thanks Jochen, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. iPhones can do exceptional work and my print output isn't a great burden so this option is likely best for my needs.

Why do I say things...

All "consumer" flatbeds uses a lot of mirrors and flat glass in the way of light form film to sensor. So, it's like using mirror lens and cheap UV filter at same time.

You've never had a flatbed scanner apart, have you?

They use one piece of flat glass - the platen - and one plane surface-silvered mirror to turn the optical path through 90 degrees. That's nothing like using a mirror lens, and many demanding professional and technical copying setups use a sheet of glass to hold the artwork flat. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

However, any copying job is dependant on the lighting for its success. The following are two example copies from an old and slightly damaged print. In this case the flatbed scanner didn't do a very good job, and more oblique lighting was required with a camera setup.

Flatbed-scan.thumb.jpg.f604ec9bc58f2a83d81042b099386088.jpg

Flatbed scan.

Camera-copy-noframe.thumb.jpg.bf1c2dc2dcb75936fdba761d76d9b791.jpg

Camera copy.

A print with no wrinkles would probably render a perfectly acceptable copy on a flatbed scanner.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

You've never had a flatbed scanner apart, have you?

They use one piece of flat glass - the platen - and one plane surface-silvered mirror to turn the optical path through 90 degrees.

(snip)

Ones that I know of have three mirrors. They need to keep the optical path length constant

while scanning, usually with the sensor fixed. There is a carriage with the 90 degree mirror

and lamps (for opaque sources), and another carriage with two mirrors that moves at half the

speed of the main carriage, such that the folded path length is constant. There are strings or

belts to keep the two carriages moving at the appropriate speeds

I might agree that the comparison to a mirror lens isn't fair, but the path length, and so focal length of

the lens system is fairly long. It might compare to using a 300mm lens on a DSLR with a 35mm

slide or negative 1m away, and then taking a tiny part cropped out of the larger image.

Using a shorter focal length lens, closer to the image, and using the full width of

the sensor seems likely to give better results.

-- glen

Many scanners use the separately moving mirror configuration I mention above,

especially those that scan larger documents, up to 11x17 inches.

It seems that the V700 puts the sensor in the moving carriage, along with four

mirrors to get the object distance long enough.

The service manual is here:

Elektrotanya for electronics experts

if you want to know in more detail how it works. Page 19 has a diagram

of the optical path.

-- glen

I'm getting to the point where I need a scanner for my B&W prints.

(Emphasis mine.)

The OP doesn't mention scanning film, just prints, and almost any standard flatbed scanner made in the last few years - or more - will scan reflective material to a true 'resolution' of 600ppi or greater. That's more than adequate to scan a postcard sized print or larger.

The latest CIS scanners don't use a mirror at all, and older design CCD line sensor consumer scanners definitely move the sensor, lens and single mirror as a unit.

So my advice to the OP would be that a V600 is unnecessary overkill, and that almost any USB or WiFi-connected scanner would do the job. Provided the prints are fairly flat and not printed on textured paper of course.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1