The new photo.net "look"

lex_jenkins

While I can change the default to underlining in Nerscape 4.8, and so go back to the "original" interface, in IE 6.0 I neither seem to be able to turn on underlining nor change the color of links, at least on the forum pages. Elsewhere on the site I can change the link colors, presumably because they are not defined by the page and so default to the browser's setting.

I don't pretenf to understand CCS fully, but it seems that whatever scheme is being used to define the forum link style is overriding the browser settings in IE 6.0, but not in Netscape 4.8.

Any expert comments?

BTW just about every change in layout of any website or magazine is initially greeted with some scepticism on the part of readers. New things sometimes need time to appreciate, or at least time to adjust to. Let's see how people feel in a week or two!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least on IE 5.2 (Mac), the redesign looks kind of clunky, with

poor alignment of page elements and crowding. A screenshot

of the upper right corner on my monitor illustrates the problem.

The white on black pulldown menus are crude looking as well. I

appreciate minimal design in web-pages, but expect a certain

amount of elegance, especially on a photography site.

After stepping back from my first impression, and giving it a bit of time, I think the new look does look better,

more professional. It has a certain clarity of line and yet kept simple, nothing fancy like flash to slow down my 56K

modem to about a 2 or 3 minute loading time, no annoying animated gifs, and no difficult to read colored text on a

colored background like red on blue.

James G. Dainis

<p>

OK. <em>I'll</em> stick my neck out and say that underlines have <strong>always</strong> been ugly regardless of which version of HTML you look back at. I know it's easy for some to read with underlines but it really does make pages look sloppy. Especially pages with lots of links. But if you want underlines, force them on in your favorite browser (if that's actually possible). I have them shut off by default (and always have) so I don't notice anything different between the old photo.net and the new photo.net. My guess is that the change was made in the style sheet for photo.net's anchor format so now everybody has to live without underlines.

<p>

So I guess I'm saying - put 'em back for all those that are whining as long as you don't force them on in style sheets; that way I can continue to live without them (by disabling in the browser's settings). How's that for a compromise? :D

I'll also add that I like the new look. Works great with Chimera v0.6 on Mac OS X. The interface hasn't changed that much (for me, since I disable underlining) and it's still clean. The banners don't bother me either - then again, I use the Junkbuster proxy so I almost never see banners and animated GIFs only loop once (a Mozilla setting). :)

A suggestion: Please, how about a <i>little</i> more space between the "My workspace | Log out | Search" links line, and the "Community Gallery Learn [etc]"

links line immediately below it? The "My workspace" link and the "Community" link are vertically contiguous - there's not even a single pixel of separation as far as I can tell.

Please bring back the underlined links. As somebody else noted, I think Phil's book is *still* the way it should be done to reach the largest audience in the clearest manner. I believe photo.net is a popular destination for those who want to learn about photography, and I would guess that many of those are somewhat new to the web as well. 'Hiding' your information and links is not in your best interests.

I tried changing the font colors and the link underline option in Netscape 4.79 and IE 5.5. Can't. Even with "override document fonts with my fonts" checked. Instead of arguing with constributors whether underlined links are better or which colors are better, just give us back THE OPTION of choosing for ourselves.

I note that in Netscape you can overide the site settings to select your own colours for visited and unvisited postings. Despite the same input (I think) into Explorer, I can't change the settings from blue on blue (albeit one shade is slightly darker than the other, but come on, which bright spark thought of that for a good colour scheme?). Is it possible with Explorer? I would like to be able to see the postings I have and haven't yet read, without screwing my eyes up to detect the subtle difference.

In my previous incarnation as a web designer for many years before having to leave High-Tech for a humbler life managing a 1hr lab.. Underlined links, please can we have them back, at least use the 'hover' function in your CSS (so that the link is underlined when the mouse is over it) That at least...

The graduated blue banner, maybe not so tall, a centimetre shorter would give a cleaner affect as well as graduating the other direction, i.e. blue to white.

Having the 'visited' links in such a similar colour is very annoying and hard to see, why not a different (tasteful of course) colour all together? At the moment there is just too many shades of blue. Come on, you guys are photographers, Black and white works. If you want colour then don't use blue exclusively, widen your horizons!

Last point, the 'My workspace' should be higher even by a tiny bit, it just looks wrong.

Good luck guys, and have fun!

<i>"just about every change in layout of any website or magazine

is initially greeted with some scepticism on the part of readers"</

i>

<p>

this is typical moderator/editor-speak. too caught up in your pride

to actually listen to readers input and do what makes the user

experience a good one.

</i> Italics off.

<p>

No, it's the truth. I didn't say I liked the new interface, I didn't say I didn't like it. I just said that almost all change meets resistance. People like things the way they've always been. It's human nature. Every magazine that changes it's layout gets initial resistance.

<p>

BTW though it seems easy to override the photo.net settings for links using Netscape (4.8), in IE 6.0 the browser settings (which can be set to "always underline links") are overriden by the photo.net settings.

well in my several years of photo.netting i have never read one

post complaining about the GUI, colors and underlined links.

now with the new style, the consensus seems to be in this tread

and others that people dislike it a lot. that should tell you

something about how bad this change is. whether or not you do

anything about it is of course up to you but you are doing a dis-

service to the readers by not taking their input into consideration.

Form Follows Function. <br>

<br>

I find the list of threads harder to read because they are not

underlined. There is a lack white space on the list of thread and

now it look more line one huge unbroken paragraph rather than a

list of thread. The lines not only tell one that it is a link but

also guide the eyes in the ocean of characters. There is nothing

idiotic about underline links if you want anyone to find them in

a paragraph. Perhaps some like to play hide and seek. I want to

get where I going.<br>

<br>

I set the colors on my browser so its easy to find links Ive

visited and ones I have not. A dark blue visited does not stand

out against black so it just works poorly. If ones idea is never

revisit a link a second time then perhaps obscuring it is an

advantage. Ive never liked sites that change the color of

visited and unvisited links from the standard or those I've set. I also turn on fly-over color and miss that. Once again I not interested in playing hide and seek.<br>

<br>

Otherwise the format changes dont move me.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Ive personally been on the verge of subscribing about four

or five times. But usually there is some blowup that says to me,

why? Ive posted four rather benign slightly negative

responses in the photo of the week and every one has been deleted.

I posted four positive responses and none were deleted by PHOTO.NET

though I later deleted three myself.<br>

<br>

Ive also had comments deleted from reviews where there were

some really nasty comments about the reviewer though mine were

not one of those. My post was just in the wrong place at the

wrong time and was deleted very likely without even being read. I

dont know about others but if Im poked in the eye

without reason I dont feel benevolent even if it was an

accident.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

<em>"I presume there's something burried in IE 6.0 that does

the same thing, though I've no idea where they hide it." --

Bob Atkins<br>

</em><br>

In IE5.5 SP2 there is a little in Tools> Internet Option>

General> Accessibility> but its very limited and

really messes up the page. There is also an option to write ones

own Style Sheet but Ive never tried that and dont

have time to do that now. Maybe later?<br>

<br>

If anyone can find "something buried" in IE5.5 or 6.0

please post it here.<br>

<br>

Thanks!

Hi guys...like the CLEAN new look. For me the link controversy don�t strike a yay or nay BUT now having the thumbs 3 across and 7 down for 21 per page sux's (for want of a more diplomatic term). I guess it would be alright if we were all running 15 inch monitors and 800x600 but standard is now probably 17 inch (with 19 inch coming on strong)...now I'm using a lot less of my screen and doing A LOT more scrolling...don't like it AT ALL! Must add though (and I hope this isn't wishful thinking) maybe I'm missing a default somewhere...Regardless of how the new look controversy turns out, things are a lot better then when I started hanging out back in the days of 14 inch monitors & 9600 modems...thanks to all for the blood, sweat & tears they've put in to get it this far...jim

I think the layout looks very nice. I like the the colour scheme at the top of each page, the rollover links are tidy and if the banner ads help to better cover the costs of running this site, I'm fine with them too. However, the pull-down menu bar (Community, Gallery, Learn...) still doesn't work for all users. On Apple's (admittedly new) Safari browser, there is no menu bar whatsoever on the top of each page, and the grey bar only showed up for me when I was logged in with the pull-down menus turned off.

Banners and the rest, no issue. But please BRING BACK THE UNDERLINES!

It does make it functionally easier to navigate. I'm one that is for constant unrelenting improvement (it's one of the things I do at work), but this is a case where change for change's sake is a very bad thing.

Perhaps this redesign proposal could have been circulated for comment before executing?

Please Brian et al, BRING BACK THE UNDERLINES!

Jim, the change from four columns to three was to accomodate people with 800x600 displays. We had a lot of complaints, and according to my research 800x600 is still the most common. The design center for most major sites seems to be 800x600. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a good way on all browsers to set the number of columns in a table in Javascript according to the current window size, and anyway, using Javascript brings in other problems.

When the world moves to bigger monitors enough so that we can tell people with only 800x600 to get with the program, I will happily put it back to four columns.