Dell UP2716D hardware calibration

Hi all,

I'm having trouble calibrating this monitor at a hardware level and I'm trying to determine if it is defective. Does anyone here own this monitor? Have you managed to calibrate it at a hardware level? I get visible banding/artifacts in Photoshop when I calibrate it at a hardware level (particularly in dark parts of the picture). When I use ione Profiler, the artifacts are no longer visible.

Also, is this test reliable? - Single-page version

Under the gradient test, I can see vertical lines.

Thanks.

If you already have an i1 calibrator, just get it as close as you can with the monitor’s own adjustments and use the i1 to finish the job. These nice-but-not-pro screens aren’t meant to be perfect on their own, you’re supposed to give them a software assist.

You'll get visible banding in PS on the right test image IF the full video path isn't high bit (video card, OS, display, application).

Here's the test image that appears smooth as a baby's behind when viewed on my high bit video system in Photoshop (at 100% zoom):

http://digitaldog.net/files/10-bit-test-ramp.zip

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Hi guys, At this point I am trying to determine if my current model is faulty.

Andrew, I download your file and expected there is visible banding. How likely is this in the real world though? I'm not sure if Windows 10 supports 10 bit colour. Do any consumer AMD or Nvidia GPUs support 10 bit output? Presumably, there would be still be a benefit in using a monitor such as NEC MultiSync PA271Q in 8 bit mode? Also, have you any experience with this monitor - Eizo ColorEdge CS2730 27 inch LCD Monitor? It has the distinct advantage of being compatible with my X-rite i1 Display calibrator.

The most noticeable failing of my current monitor is "IPS glow" in the corners which can be seen even in daylight. Have you experience with NEC other monitors such as the MultiSync EA271U? Is the quality control good in your opinion?

Thanks.

A little banding in a system that's not fully high bit is to be expected and really not a big deal. While Win 10 supports high bit, your video card, display and applications must too. Otherwise there is a high bit to 8-bit per color then back conversion and that's where the banding comes in.

I have had many NEC SpectraView's over the years and highly recommended them. I only use the PA's vs. EA (lower end), we can get into the differences if you desire.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)