Photoshop learning books

I've been using Lightroom CC for the past several years for all my color to b&w conversions. But I want to start using Photoshop a lot because of the more extensive processing options in a new imaging endeavor, black and white landscapes and nature. I'm familiar with PS and use it for very limited applications. I would like to find a good single source, perhaps a book, that teaches the use of layers, masks, smart objects, etc. I know I can find thousands of individual tutorials but I'd like to have a single source to get me up to speed from beginning to intermediate skill levels in a logical sequence. Suggestions?

Thanks, Bob

Martin Evening has written several books on Photoshop and Lightroom. There are more detailed books on certain aspects, but Evening's book provide a good grounding and are filled with practical examples. Adobe "Classroom" books are more focused on features of the software than practical applications, but are good references nonetheless.
  • Like 3

I've been using Lightroom CC for the past several years for all my color to b&w conversions. But I want to start using Photoshop a lot because of the more extensive processing options in a new imaging endeavor, black and white landscapes and nature. I'm familiar with PS and use it for very limited applications. I would like to find a good single source, perhaps a book, that teaches the use of layers, masks, smart objects, etc. I know I can find thousands of individual tutorials but I'd like to have a single source to get me up to speed from beginning to intermediate skill levels in a logical sequence. Suggestions?

Thanks, Bob

Bob, I dare say that books are dated. A single good source for a program that covers an enormous range of options would probably be several volumes thick and as hard to negotiate as the internet.

In other words, between the time they are written, published and printed they become out of date. What you needed is resourcefulness to find your solutions on the internet. Through trial and error, you will be able to refine the searches to the subject matter that you seek. Through trial and error, you will also become more comfortable with PS.

I love books. Their place in technology subjects is probably in the history section.

The main advantage of electronic books is that you don't lose your place when you fall asleep reading. Most of the time it's hard to navigate away from the page you're on.

Paper books are better for learning complex operations because you can re-read sections easily, and skip around for reference. Product manuals are better electronic, because you don't really need to study them intensely, and generally only cover a specific topic as needed. They're also easier to carry with you on the job or vacation.

Putting it another way, Adobe "Classroom" books are product manuals with better pictures than most. The Martin Evening books are topic manuals, covering basic and complex operations in detail. With the first, you learn what tools are available and what they do, piecemeal. With the second, you learn what you can do, and which tools to use for that endeavor.

• Like 1

I would recommend instructional videos as the way to go. They seem plentiful on the Internet.

Logical progression? I'm not too sure about that approach. I think it's better to treat each tool and module separately and learn each one as needed. Trying to get to grips with the whole of PS at once would be just overwhelming.

I partly disagree that written sources will be out of date. I've been using PS since version 3.5 and it really hasn't changed that much at a basic level. Layers are still layers, and masks are still masks, even though the number of blending options has increased and been refined.

For B&W, you'll probably find the infinitely 'draggable' curves tool a big improvement over the sliders of Lightroom, while the filters in the B&W conversion module of PS can work amazing transformations on a colour original.

Just play with the program. It doesn't cost anything to do so and you can't break it!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Logical progression? I'm not too sure about that approach. I think it's better to treat each tool and module separately and learn each one as needed. Trying to get to grips with the whole of PS at once would be just overwhelming.

That's why I recommend the Evening books. Rather than skimming each tool in superficial manner, identify what you wish to accomplish and research how to do it. Alternately, find out what types of jobs more experienced photographers undertake, and how they apply to your needs.

I've been using Photoshop since Adobe's first version (nearly 25 years), and probably use 10% of what Photoshop offers. It's a deep program to suit many needs. My son knows a lot more than I, plus shortcuts, since he's a graphic artist and web designer.

• Like 2

Sometimes the on-line and Youtube sources are a little "hard" to use, in my experience.

I just like to get out my reading glasses and use a printed (gasp!) book with a decent index.

My use of Photoshop goes back to version 2.5, and everytime I've upgraded, I buy another copy of the Missing Manual Photoshop book. Good learning and even better reference when you've forgot some arcane spell for making the program work

• Like 1

Sometimes the on-line and Youtube sources are a little "hard" to use, in my experience.

I just like to get out my reading glasses and use a printed (gasp!) book with a decent index.

My use of Photoshop goes back to version 2.5, and everytime I've upgraded, I buy another copy of the Missing Manual Photoshop book. Good learning and even better reference when you've forgot some arcane spell for making the program work

My sentiments too. I just ordered “The Missing Manual Lightroom” Jonathan

I think it very much depends on an individual's learning style. As a hopefully visually aware and perhaps visually-biased learner, seeing and doing might be the best way forward. Books can't really do that in real time, whereas well-made instructional videos can, and there's also aural reinforcement of the visual input.

My main tip is to use the "Help" button in either Lightroom or Photoshop to access the Adobe resources. Adobe has a wide selection of help files and videos. Another resource that I can highly recommend is PHlearn. Their on-line courses (website) are paid but their Youtube Channel is very informative and free of charge.

Mikwe

I took your post as a recommendation and ordered the book from Amazon (I have CS5 so the book was less than $15). It arrived a few hours ago, so I have not had a chance to read it - all 796 pages of it plus Table of Contents and Forward. A quick peek looks promising. Coupled with Martin Evenings book should cover most of what a I will need, and more.

Thank you for the recommendation.