Tripods for Mamiya 7

erikestany

Hi,

I know there are many old posts about it. I've been reading them but I have not found the specific answer. I'm sorry.

I need a tripod and a ballhead with the following characteristics:

- To use with a Mamiya 7 with the 50mm/80mm lens.

- Steady enough to get sharp images. Normally in relatively favorable conditions (not extreme wind, etc). It also has to be used for long exposure with cable release.

- Light enough to to walk/drive through the city. For now I am not planning to hiking with it.

- High enough without displaying the center column so that the viewfinder is more or less at the eye level. I'm 1.90 cm tall.

I am focused on the Manfrotto carbon fiber models 055 and 190. 3 and 4 sections:

- MANFROTTO 055 CARBON FIBER 3 SECTION (MT055CXPRO3)

- MANFROTTO 055 CARBON FIBER 4 SECTION (MT055CXPRO4)

- MANFROTTO 190 CARBON FIBER 3 SECTION (MT190CXPRO3)

- MANFROTTO 190 CARBON FIBER 4 SECTION (MT190CXPRO4)

I like the weight and size of the 190, but I'm afraid of having sharpness problems in the long exposures. And 55 seems to be fairly stable but I'm afraid it is too heavy. Which of the options do you think fits best? Or is there any alternative in this price range?

About the ballhead, I have no idea. Any suggestions?

And a quick release plate that allows me to change film in my Mamiya 7?

Thank you so much!

Mamiya 7 with a 50 or 80mm lens does not require extensive research for a tripod. Virtually any half decent tripod will be sufficient. Pick the extended height you want (about your height is suggested), pick a carbon fiber one, pick how small you'd like it to collapse to (3 or 4 sections), pick the price. I'd look at Benro, Oban, Feisol, Manfrotto, and other Asian makes. If you want to spend a lot with little extra benefit get a Gitzo or RRS. About the same goes for the ballhead: your needs are not demanding. Try the same makers as the tripods I suggested. Acratech make nice stuff. Kirk and RRS are good, but I doubt you need to spend this much.
Robin Smith

Hi Robin, thanks for the answer.

I know Mamiya 7 is not a heavy camera, and with the Manfrotto 055 I would have enough, but I am worried about the weight.

The Manfrotto 190 would be stable enough to keep it steady? Even for long exposures? Anyone out there who has experience using Mamiya 7 and the Manfrotto 190?

And the difference in height of 5 centimeters without the central column deployed between 55 and 190 is noticeable? Is it worth it for someone measuring 186cm?

Thank you so much!