Hello,

If memory serves me SCSI ID 7 is reserved for the adapter card itself so do not use that. You should be fine selecting one of the other numbers for the ID of the scanner. It does not matter what number you use as long as it is not used by another SCSI device. Also, make sure that you have the terminations set correctly. There is a DIP switch on the scanner to do this. The last SCSI device must be terminated, since you have only the scanner it would be the last device on the SCSI cable, right?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

If memory serves me SCSI ID 7 is reserved for the adapter card itself so do not use that. You should be fine selecting one of the other numbers for the ID of the scanner. It does not matter what number you use as long as it is not used by another SCSI device. Also, make sure that you have the terminations set correctly. There is a DIP switch on the scanner to do this. The last SCSI device must be terminated, since you have only the scanner it would be the last device on the SCSI cable, right?

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The PC I am using has 2 SCSI ports, one 15 pin, one 25pin.

To the 15pin I have connected a 15-15pin SCSI lead to my desktop screen. To the 25pin I have connected a 25-50pin SCSI lead that connects to the back of the scanner.

I am oblivious as to what SCSI numbers are, where they reside, or even how they relate to the SCSI ports. Can this be found somewhere on the computer? There are no numbers on the SCSI ports themselves. Should I be matching up the number on the back of the scanner to a specific number assigned to the 25pin port (if such a thing exists)?

All of the dip switches are set to up so they form a solid line. Is this correct? I have read the instruction manual but it says nothing much about terminations. Should I fiddle with the switches and return them to their current orientation?

Many thanks again for sticking with this!

The SCSI id number is usually set by a thumbwheel or push-button up-down indicator switch on the SCSI 'slave' device - i.e. your scanner. You can have up to 16 SCSI devices daisy chained, but one of them must be a master or controller device. The rest are addressed by their unique number from that controller.

In a simple one-to-one setup, such as computer and scanner, it really doesn't matter much which number you allocate to the slave device - your scanner. The termination status is much more important. Some devices expect an active termination, and some a simple resistor pullup network.

Since these scanners were expected to be used by 'inexpert' people, I would think that they use a built-in terminator, and offer a limited number of allowable SCSI addresses. So I think it might be difficult to select hardware (switch) options that completely prevent operation.

If communication between computer and scanner is unreliable, try a different setting of termination switch, or a different ID number.

There is no such animal as a 15 pin SCSI port. That's likely the VGA D-type monitor outlet. If it has 3 rows of pins, it's an XVGA video connector.

BTW, don't you have a manual for the scanner that explains the setup procedure?

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi everyone I been having issue with the scanner as well

at the moment using window 10 with express card with fire wire 400,

scanner and computer talk and recognize each other after finishing the calibration process,

the scanner green light is blinking / software ask to insert film / plz remove film / scanner is busy and ......

this for al least 3 times, every times the calibration process is over the scanner is busy

so far I was able to do a few scans

so it seems the scanner works

changed cables ( fire wire 400 to 400)

please let me know if you have any suggestions

have try on mac and same things happens

thank you