What strap do you use?

mark45831

I use different straps for different purposes. For a lightweight camera and lens like for travel, I use the Op Tech Super Pro with the widest neck support. Sometimes I wear this across my body to reduce neck strain and pain. When I use something heavier, like a camera with a lens that has a tripod collar, I use a Black Rapid Sport strap with a thiparty quick release clamp (purchased separately) attached to the Black Rapid mounting screw. I am right handed so I use the BR strap designed for the left shoulder. The Sport model comes with an under arm strap that keeps it from slipping. If you shoot with two cameras, or carry something else like a water bottle, consider the Black Rapid Double Breathe Strap. You can use it for two cameras/lenses or remove one of the shoulder straps and use it just for one.

BlackRapid | Double Breathe

I used the Optech Urban strap with internal cable on vacation. It did the job, but did not care how it worked, the camera clip/slides did not slide easily on the strap, which made it a hassle to use :( It is also bulky to pack.

The Black Rapid is interesting but I have not tried it.

I currently use the Peak Design Slide on my D7200 and the Slide Lite on my EM1.

• Like 1

I happily used Optech neoprene straps with and without nylon backing and loved the fact that the fasteck buckles attached to the camera lugs were opposite male and female for shortening the strap without having to buy an additional piece. I switched and have been using Upstraps for close to ten years and have not looked back. Upstraps are sold by a mom and pop business in Florida. Well made and very strong with a variety of sizes and choice of kevlar attachments or vectran loops for a different sizes gear. I have stayed with the larger straps since most of my bodies have vertical grips that add some weight. Lots of other great designs mentioned here I would love to try some day. Kind of miss the hippie camera straps from a few years back.

WRT leather straps: They're OK until the leather perishes unnoticed and the strap suddenly breaks. That's happened to me twice - luckily my reflexes were quick enough in those days to grab the camera before it hit the deck. I couldn't guarantee that these days.

Leather straps also have a nasty habit of stretching around the button-holes that makers are fond of fitting for adjustment. Same end result as above. Leather lens and camera cases tend to encourage and harbour fungus too. So I learned a lesson years ago and leather is 'verboten' around my camera gear.

If you heed my advice you'll forget the looks and kudos of leather and stick to more reliable synthetic materials.

But no, please don't bring back those multi-coloured 4" wide nylon straps with dog-lead clips at each end. The world doesn't need a repeat of that fashion fiasco.

I dont do photography as a profession so I don't put a lot of use as most of you pro's do and would need the more durable one's , I picked up the OP/TECH that fits goods, within my budget and will fit my needs.. Thanks for all the input
  • Like 1

I use the pack-in Nikon strap turned inside out, wearing it sling-style (across the chest). Wearing the strap inside out puts the smooth, non-grippy side on my shoulder, which makes it very easy and convenient to bring the camera from hip level up to my eye, because the strap can just slide on my shoulder. It also has the side benefit of hiding the Nikon logo.

I put a swivel clasp on each strap end and then use the clasps to attach the strap to the camera, rather than threading the strap directly through the camera's strap lugs (split-rings). This makes it quick and easy to remove the strap when not needed.

If using a long lens, I attach one of those strap lugs that screw into the tripod socket and anchor one end of the strap to that and the other end to one of the usual lugs. This allows the camera to hang lens down.

...If using a long lens, I attach one of those strap lugs that screw into the tripod socket and anchor one end of the strap to that and the other end to one of the usual lugs. This allows the camera to hang lens down.
How long (and more importantly, how heavy) is ”a long lens” to you?

Any lens heavier than a 70-700/2,8, 300/4 or 400/5.6 should really only be the only point where you attach your strap. I never use my camera’s lugs to carry my camera when I use my 300/2.8 VR. Heavy professional lenses have strap lugs that should be used. If you do not want to use the lens’s lugs or your, say, 150-600 super zoom do not have them, always carry the lens and camera by holding the lens foot - or attach your strap to the lens’s tripod mount.

How long (and more importantly, how heavy) is ”a long lens” to you?

Any lens heavier than a 70-700/2,8, 300/4 or 400/5.6 should really only be the only point where you attach your strap. I never use my camera’s lugs to carry my camera when I use my 300/2.8 VR. Heavy professional lenses have strap lugs that should be used. If you do not want to use the lens’s lugs or your, say, 150-600 super zoom do not have them, always carry the lens and camera by holding the lens foot - or attach your strap to the lens’s tripod mount.

Yes.

Daft question, and I know this has come up before... I've always just used the top lugs on the camera to hold the strap, but I have mastered the art of having the strap fall across the viewfinder whenever I try to shoot a portrait orientation shot. Connecting to the tripod socket has always lacked a bit of appeal partly because of how the camera might rest or swing, partly because I'd have to disconnect it for either a QR plate or battery grip, and partly because having anything connected to the tripod socket that doesn't have an anti-rotation lip (especially if the camera's swinging on it) fills me with dread. I could use the slot on my L-plate, but that would shove the corner of the camera into my sternum and I suspect get in the way of my (more common) landscape-orientation grip.

Other than going for a wrist strap, which would be one solution on condition I never wanted to do anything but shoot, how does everyone else avoid this? I'm half tempted to attach a very loose rubber band to the strap to pull it below the grip when it's not actually supporting the camera, but I assume there's a better-engineered solution.

For what it's worth, bigger lenses I just tend to hold onto directly - other than my 200 f/2, for which I use its own strap (usually in addition to the camera's in case of ineptitude, but slightly shorter so the weight is on the lens). I'm not averse to using a tripod foot as a handle.

Daft question, and I know this has come up before... I've always just used the top lugs on the camera to hold the strap, but I have mastered the art of having the strap fall across the viewfinder whenever I try to shoot a portrait orientation shot. Connecting to the tripod socket has always lacked a bit of appeal partly because of how the camera might rest or swing, partly because I'd have to disconnect it for either a QR plate or battery grip, and partly because having anything connected to the tripod socket that doesn't have an anti-rotation lip (especially if the camera's swinging on it) fills me with dread. I could use the slot on my L-plate, but that would shove the corner of the camera into my sternum and I suspect get in the way of my (more common) landscape-orientation grip.

Other than going for a wrist strap, which would be one solution on condition I never wanted to do anything but shoot, how does everyone else avoid this? I'm half tempted to attach a very loose rubber band to the strap to pull it below the grip when it's not actually supporting the camera, but I assume there's a better-engineered solution.

I have the same problem on my D7200 with the right strap getting in the way of my viewfinder.

On my EM1, the L-bracket has a strap lug on the right side, that I use. It positions the right strap under the body, where it does not get in the way of the viewfinder when I rotate the camera to vertical/portrait position. And I find that I like the strap out of the way for horizontal/landscape position.

I plan to get a similar L-bracket for the D7200.

I use the strap in cross shoulder mode, so the camera is resting on my hip, not on my chest.

Thanks, Gary. I have a slot on the L-plate that could take the strap, I just worry that it'll point the lower left of the camera into my sternum. (I'm using the default Nikon strap, which I guess I should have said, and I keep it fairly short - plus there's a lot of me, so if I aim for my hip I'll lose the camera under my muffin-top...) Maybe I'm worrying unduly.