Have I messed up my Hasselblad?

jim_gardner4

I dug my 503cw out today and almost immediately jammed it when I released the shutter without the lens fully engaged. Fortunately I removed the film back and could clearly see the "cocking" screw, gave that a turn and all was well,,,I thought.

After unjamming I wound and fired the camera a few times but noticed that on slower speeds, say 1 second, the rear curtains close if I release the shutter button before the exposure is complete. Now I cant remember if it was always the case that I must keep the shutter release button held in for the full duration of the exposure or if I should be able to release it immediately and expect the curtains to stay open for the full 1 second.

I hope that makes sense and hope you can help. Many thanks,Jim.

For exposures longer that ~1/30, I've made a habit of setting the shutter release lock to the "T" position before firing. This will hold doors open until the lock is moved off "T."

Of course, usually when shutter speeds get that low, I'm on a tripod with a cable release. I prefer the cable releases with a lock collar(as opposed to a screw), and leave it set "on" with my Hasselblad. This will hold the rear curtains open until I press the collar to release it, and then of course I can advance and do whatever else is necessary for the next exposure.

• Like 1