Best film camera for portraits?

hollycarter

I have to agree with Ben, in fact that’s just what I did. I got an RB67 and 127, 180 and the 150 soft focus lenses at very low cost from KEH. The 180 is amazingly sharp portrait lens and the 150 a unique piece to me. The 127 is a good ‘normal’ lens in the 6x7 format.

Rick H.

Good choice Rick!

I actually haven't owned/used the 180mm-I have 50, 65, 90, 127, 150, and 250mm. I'm sure that the 180 is excellent-the 150mm is the only one in the range that can be considered "bad", and that's only if you're using it outside its intended use(the wild spherical aberration when wide open is not for every subject, but ti's as sharp as anything else by f/11).

As a side note on the 150mm-when I first looked at it at the local camera store I picked it up WAY out of the back of the medium format case then promptly set it back down when I saw a "$750" sticker on the side of it. I asked about the lens and just said something like "are they really worth that much?" He said that he'd probably put the sticker on there 10+ years ago, and that there definitely was a time when they were worth that much. He offered it to me for significantly less than that-I want to say $125 or $150.