Canon for very cold weather

NimArt

Hi everyone

Can anyone introduce me some Canon gears for very cold weather like minus 30 degrees , please? I need to take some picture in Russia,and as you know it has a very very cold weather specially at nights. I need to buy a Canon camera to endurance in that cold weather. please help me to find one.

Nima

I am pretty sure the Canon 1Dx series camera and most L series lenses can withstand the cold weather. Other prosumer grade like 5D, 6D and 7D series may too. I took my 5D II with two lenses, 17-40 and 24-105, to Fairbank and Arctic Circle in Alaska, and another trip to Iceland, all in lower than minus 35 degrees. I had no problem at all. Just make sure you have extra batteries with you and keep them warm, do not change lens outside, put your gear in a plastic bag before entering warm places to keep condensation forming on your gear and most importantly, keep yourself warm. Hope this helps.
  • Like 1

In order to keep the batteries functioning, you need to carry the camera someplace warm, like inside your clothing.

Just so it's not easy, you also need to keep body and environmental moisture from condensing on/in the lenses, etc., when you put the cold camera back under cover.

• Like 1

Sandy's tip to use a waterproof and shockproof tough camera for cold weather photography is a good one. I use an Olympus Tough TG4 for this purpose and stick it in a warm coat pocket when not in use.

I have used a Canon 5D II with 24-105mm L lens in Yellowstone in winter with temperatures down to about -10 F with no problems. I kept the camera in a Lowepro bag with a heat pack when not in use. And when I brought the camera indoors it stayed in the zipped-up bag until it had reached ambient temperature.

If you use an aluminum tripod, wrap the legs with insulating material for carrying (or buy a carbon fiber tripod).

I found these cold weather shooting tips, and associated write-up, from photographers Laurence and Jessica Norah at, Cold Weather and Winter Photography Tips - Finding the Universe

1. Use A Sealable Plastic Bag. Ok, so this might seem a bit weird. ...
  2. Take spare batteries (and keep them warm!) Cold weather kills batteries. ...
  3. Don't freeze your nose to your camera. ...

4. Wear good gloves. ...
  5. Use Heat Packs. ...
  6. Wear warm winter clothes too! ...
  7. Use a good camera bag. ...
  8. Invest in a good tripod.

Edited by Glenn McCreery
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure the Canon 1Dx series camera and most L series lenses can withstand the cold weather. Other prosumer grade like 5D, 6D and 7D series may too. I took my 5D II with two lenses, 17-40 and 24-105, to Fairbank and Arctic Circle in Alaska, and another trip to Iceland, all in lower than minus 35 degrees. I had no problem at all. Just make sure you have extra batteries with you and keep them warm, do not change lens outside, put your gear in a plastic bag before entering warm places to keep condensation forming on your gear and most importantly, keep yourself warm. Hope this helps.

1. Use A Sealable Plastic Bag. Ok, so this might seem a bit weird. ..

Canon cameras have been known to operate at -30 below (no wind chill) with dependable power packs - regular batteries expend more rapidly the colder it gets.

Avoid using burst mode as this can jam your shutter, the LCD is likely to freeze up after a while.

The sealable plastic bag is used after shooting and you have removed the memory card(s) BEFORE you go inside to a warm environment.

You place the cold camera inside the plastic bag, remove as much 'air' as possible and seal it airtight.

Not only does this prevent condensation issues for your lenses it also prevents uneven temperature changes that might fracture the electronic connections on the cameras micro circuit boards.

Leave the camera in the sealed bag for at least several hours before removal.

Edited by matt_t_butler
Matt B

• 3 weeks later...
Don't forget the batteries. Put several charged batteries in a zip lock bag and keep them in a pocket to keep them warm. From my experience a few years ago with the original 5D the batteries only lasted for 2-3 hours outdoors before being replaced. Newer Cameras and newer batteries might last longer.