This quote says it al!!

bill_carson

Hi All: This a quote that I have kept on top of the pile for some

time and that I keep coming back to (as one possible answer to the

conmtinual question of photographic image quality).

"Shel Belinkoff" (whoever he is??) states, "There are no rules for

good photographs; there are only good photographs."

Think about this statement ---

Respectfully submitted to the Leica Group. Bill Carson

Mark, there's really not that much stuff on this forum (per your concern) that will soil your feet. Beyond the images, there's a lot that falls into the "what lens do you think I should buy?", and the routine nuts and bolts categories. I like the quotes and aphorisms because they serve as a succinct kind of distillation of the originator's philosophy and view. After having learned about photography, there are some who enjoy reflecting on those things that relate to the medium's role as a means of personal or artistic expression. Anyway,.....feet can be washed!!

Shortly after I got my Leica IIIc in Germany (1945) I went through the factory, as I was the "Landkreis Kommondant" I was a wet-behind-the-ears Second Balloon in the Armored Force and I was stationed in Wetzlar with my tank company.

An elderly German worker said to me (if I may reconstruct his meaning): "Use your camera to instantly record what you see, whether you like it or not. That is why we built these cameras."

"Goddammit, where's that ****ing light meter!"--Lee Shively.

---You're in good company, Lee. I understand that's the same thing Ansel Adams was saying just before he shot "Moonrise Over Hernandez, New Mexico." He didn't find it, and for lack of time, estimated the exposure--not very accurately.

"I disagree with the statement of a films latitude. That carries a connotation that the film is somehow subject to my personal whims, failings, and unthought wishes. A film is an inanimate object which has been designed with certain characteristics that are not subject to changes without repealing the laws of sensitometry. It will expose at a given quantity of light exposure, it will respond in a certain predetermined way to increases in the quantity of light exposure. It will respond in a given manner, to a given developer, at a given temperature, at a given time, with a given amount of agitation. No mystery involved in that as I see it." -- Donald Miller, February 14, 2003

To quote photographer Duane Michals: "I used to go to a gym and the guy who ran it had about five thousand dollars worth of photographic equipment. He would always say, 'Listen, what do you think of the Gazebo 17B and their f/4.18 lens?' And I'd say, 'What the hell are you talking about?' I never knew what he was talking about. But then I would ask, 'Well, Lenny, when was the last time you took a picture?' And he'd reply, 'Oh about two months ago.' And I'd say, 'What was that of?' He'd say he photographed a dog and then he'd bring in these prints of his dog. Somehow something got lost in the shuffle. Values got confused. This is a mistake that schools make also. You go to these schools and these kids all show you gorgeous prints of water running over pebbles. I'd rather see a not so gorgeous mistake of a brilliant idea, an idea that maybe the kid didn't even know how to solve technically. But who cares, because he's talking about something incredible. It's not the medium, it's the message for me." [<B>Darkroom</B>, Ed. Eleanor Lewis (Lustrum Press: 1977), page 133.]