colormeter - good investment?

stefan_marquardt

hi all,

so far I allway relied on guessing the right cc-filtration (a bit more

or less magenta) for LF-interior work under fluerescent light. Now I

am wondering if a colormeter would be a good investment?

There are usualy the minolta colormeter II and III on the second hand

market. Is there a big diffents between the two models (is the II good

enough)? Any architectural photographer here with experience?

thanks a lot! stefan marquardt

If your doing this kind of work full time and can justify, yes it is a good

investment. Along with the meter, your investment will grow due to the need

for wratten filters... As you are probably finding out, there are many different

types of flouro light temps and if your having to shoot chromes your work is cut

out. If you can shoot negs, your work is cut in half... If your shooting chrome/

negs and scanning and the final are electronic files, in PS you can easily take

out seperate colors with the Hue and Saturation control panel which does a

great job or in PS 7, the Auto color Balance will get you real close with just a

little tweaking! With this in mind, save your money!

Stefan, Also check out the Gossen Color Pro 3F. I am a full-time architectural photographer and personally, I prefer the Gossen. The meter displays the color temperature in degrees Kelvin, and also suggests filtration for both color correction (e.g. CC 35 Magenta) and color temperature adjustment (e.g. 81A). It is compact, reliable, and a necessary tool if you shoot LF architectural under flourescents, and other such sources. Also, the Gossen color meter allows you to enter a your personalized / tested film "neutral point" for your film -- for example, in the case that you find that your daylight film tests/looks neutral at 5300K. It works for both continuous light sources like daylight and tungsten, and also for strobe (and has the requisite PC connector for your hardwire synch cord or radio wizard type of cord). It is an eye-opener to see the actual color output of your strobes, etc. Great meter -- I highly recommend it. I bought mine from a well-known dealer in CA & it goes on every assignment with me. You will still need to bolster the CC reading with experience, but the color temp measurement is EXACT! It's a lifesaver for any location shooter!

Best, Paul Chaplo, MFA (RIT) http://www.chaplo.com/index.html

I use the Gossen 3F too and it's a good tool. But now that the slides pass through Photoshop, it is not as necessary as before. I often shoot with 64T or daylight film depending on what is the closest to the ambient lighting, and color correct in Photoshop. Recently I had a very difficult situation where shop displays were lit with tubes and some halogen spots, and there were bays in the roof from which the daylight was coming through. The slides were a mixture of blue areas from the daylight, green areas from the tubes and red areas from the quartz halogen! I had to color correct specific areas on different layers in Photoshop and could obtain nice looking images that way.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...