70-300mm f/4.5 G Lens Incompatible with D300/D300s

Mary Doo

I have an AF-P 10-20mm that does not work in autofocus mode on the D70s. Manual works fine though. That lens also works in S mode, autofocus and autoexposure, on my F90x (N90s) film camera.

Are you sure about AF on those cameras you cited? I can't get my 10-20 AF-P to AF on my D300s or D3s, much less on any older DSLR or film camera.

I actually have a parallel thread running on the 10-20mm AF-P, and it would not even AF on my D600 or D800 until I installed the latest firmware update.

Yes, the 70-300mm AF-S VR G lens should work on absolutely everything, with the understanding that cameras which can't set the aperture internally will be stuck at minimum aperture, you'll need the camera to understand electronics for the meter to work, and there are a couple of film cameras which support screwdriver focus but not electronic (AF-I/AF-S) focus. The only modern concern I'd have with it is that the AF-P lenses have better optics (apparently), and the FX version of the AF-P lens(es) should work fine on anything D3 onwards, which is a fairly large selection of dSLRs. The DX AF-P lenses are more finicky.

there are a couple of film cameras which support screwdriver focus but not electronic (AF-I/AF-S) focus.

AFAIK, that's mostly limited to the "4 digit" models(N2020, N8008, etc). Those are confined to the first generation AF Nikons, and of the bunch that bunch the F4 is the only one that's AF-S compatible. Incidentally, the F4 is also AF-I compatible, while the lower end contemporary cameras are not-I'm making the ASSUMPTION that AF-S and AF-I are electrically the same. I've never owned an AF-I lens, and likely won't as even "cheap" one, the 300mm f/2.8, is still $1K+ that I can't really justify spending on a lens I have almost no use for(the 300mm f/2.8 AF-I is referenced as being slow focusing, and I suspect that the older screwdriver f/2.8 might be faster on an F5 or single digit D).

I haven't tested it ALL that extensively, but I know that the N65, N70, and N80 are fine with AF-S. I know that from my own testing, even though you might find some references on the internet to the contrary. I have some other low end 90s Nikon film SLRs, but I've never bothered to test them as many of them use whatever special battery was popular when they were made that's often more expensive than the camera itself :) . The ones that are cells molded into a holder are obnoxious-fortunately I was able to get around needing a 2CR123a on the N6006 by using two CR123s and a wad of aluminum foil in the bottom of the battery compartment :) .

• Like 1