Major bug in Elements 2018

Do not click on DONE. Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard and click CANCEL That should do it. How do I know? In CS5 when I hover the mouse pointer above CANCEL, it opens a hint box and tells me. Try it.

In my original reply I should have written DATABASE, not CATALOG. I guess I'm just use to Lightroom for RAW processing.

No, the original image file is NOT overwritten, the changes you made in ACR are written to the database (unless you are using DNG files, but that is a different story).

Yes, I know how to cancel, but I did click on Done, that's the whole point. I would hope the original file is not overwritten, but it sure looks that way. It would be nice if somebody, anybody could tell me how to get rid of the edits and get the original file back. This problem seems to happen with both DNG and NEF RAW files.

Edited by frans_waterlander

Do you know the photo number? You should be able to figure it out if you have the rest of the photos taken since it would be part of a number sequence. Search computer on that number to find the original file.

Also, did you erase the original photo in the camera's memory card?

Alan, I know exactly where the file is, that's not the issue. Issue is that it seems to me that the edits I made before I accidentally clicked on Done in ACR are now baked in. I do have several back-ups, so that's not an issue for me. It looks to me like a serious bug, unless somebody can tell me how to get the original file restored without resorting to a backups.

Frans. RAW files stay RAW. Any 'changes' to them are simply held as a set of instructions as to how the (untouched) RAW or NEF file should be processed before being displayed. Anything held in that instruction set should be entirely reversible and non-destructive.

White balance, exposure, sharpening, saturation, tone curves, etc. They're all applied 'on the fly' to the basic raw photosite data as the image is displayed. There may be an embedded JPEG 'thumbnail' for preview purposes, but this doesn't alter the actual raw data.

So, at worst, all you need to do is reopen the file and reverse the 'changes' made before you clicked done. However, I suspect that somewhere you'll find an option to reset the processing file to 'camera-selected options' or some such.

• Like 1

Alan, I know exactly where the file is, that's not the issue. Issue is that it seems to me that the edits I made before I accidentally clicked on Done in ACR are now baked in. I do have several back-ups, so that's not an issue for me. It looks to me like a serious bug, unless somebody can tell me how to get the original file restored without resorting to a backups.

No it isn’t baked in as you have been told repeatedly; Proprietary raws are read only.

Undo is your friend as is Alt/opt reset key ( depending on OS).

Some people should not attempt to use computers...... ;-)

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

How about trying this solution: Camera Raw reset to original | Adobe Community

I don't have the latest version PSE, but on my stone age version, ACR always have given the ability to reset all edits back to the defaults.

Labelling something a bug simply because it works different from what you expect, is silly. You may not like how it works, but it sure isn't a bug by any stretch of imagination, and probably most users will prefer the way it works. So the title of this thread is vastly misleading.

• Like 1

This is not the first time Adobe has written into Raw files. They are not truly read only unless you use some command/tool to mark them that way. Having learned my lesson about Adobe software quality in the past, I ALWAYS import my camera raw files manually and immediately mark them as R/O before I ever let Adobe even look at them.

This is not the first time Adobe has written into Raw files. They are not truly read only unless you use some command/tool to mark them that way. Having learned my lesson about Adobe software quality in the past, I ALWAYS import my camera raw files manually and immediately mark them as R/O before I ever let Adobe even look at them.

See the correctly marked answer:

Can no longer write metadata to Raw files | Adobe Community

LR can provide one edit IF setup in catalog preferences: Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files. Then the user has to update that setting in Library (Edit Capture Time).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

See the correctly marked answer:

Can no longer write metadata to Raw files | Adobe Community

LR can provide one edit IF setup in catalog preferences: Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files. Then the user has to update that setting in Library (Edit Capture Time).

Irregardless of what folks at the "Adobe Community" agree is the "correct answer", there is no debating whether LR wrote into several years worth of my raw files.. So my own personal choice is to continue marking all my raw files as R/O. My files, my choice, YMMV.

So, let me recap the situation for Elements 2018 with ACR 10.2. In Camera RAW Preferences you choose either "Save image settings in Sidecar ".xmp" files" or "Save image settings in Camera Raw database".

With sidecars enabled a sidecars is created for Nikon NEF RAW files, whether the file is Read-only or not. With the database enabled no sidecar is created.

With sidecars enabled a sidecar is created for DNG RAW files, but only if the file is Read-only. If the DNG file is not Read-only, no sidecar is created and I suspect the metadata is written into the DNG file, although it could possibly be written into the database; I can't figure out which.

In ACR 10.2 I can choose the Camera RAW Defaults setting which, as far as I can tell, shows me the unedited RAW file.

There are some drawbacks to using the database: Adobe Tech Support can't tell me where that database is located on my computer so I can't possibly back it up; someone there even told me it doesn't exist. The advantage is that you don't double your files in a given folder. I'm switching from using the database option since around 2000 to using the sidecar option from now on.

What does “irregardless” mean?

"Not no regard", as they say in Kentucky ;)

Lightroom apparently stores editing data in the catalog, rather than in sidecar (XMP) files. You can restore any image, any time, by pressing RESET in the Development mode. There is surely a similar function in Elements.

It's a little off-putting when a question about operational details is prefaced by a "bug" alert. Try instead, "How do I restore RAW files in PS Elements to their original form?" For what it's worth, that's a good phrase to search for an answer in the Adobe website or internet community.

I had a question last night about how to rotate a video a degree or two and crop it in Premiere Pro. It took about 30 seconds to find the answer, which was right in front of my face. That's not to say there aren't bugs in Adobe products. It took three Sierra updates and two from Adobe before Media Encoder stopped crashing and locking up the computer. (It was a deadly embrace when reading from and writing to the same hard drive.)

Frans, if you are on the Windows platform and haven't done a lot on the computer since the original was over-written, there are a couple of potential solutions. Both are long shots and a little messy. But if it was really important to me I'd try first looking in the Recycle Bin. If not there then I'd try using a program like "Recuva" -- a free utility that can locate and in some cases recover "deleted" files. (This could take quite a while and you'd have to sort through a lot of other trash.) The success of both of these depend on how much you've used the computer since the errant over-writing.

In ACR 10.2 I can choose the Camera RAW Defaults setting which, as far as I can tell, shows me the unedited RAW file.

- No RAW editor will show you an 'unedited' RAW file. It would look very green and low in contrast. In fact pretty weird altogether.

What a RAW editor shows by default is a de-mosaiced image that's processed using the in-camera settings; I.e. the RAW image is processed to look like an out-of-camera JPEG.

Any RAW editing that changes those OOC parameters will only alter the processing instructions, and not the overly green and mosaiced raw data.

Think of the RAW file as a construction set, that can be put together in endless combinations to form different models. The 'box of bits' remains the same, but the shape and size of models that can be made is wide ranging. None of the basic parts is lost or altered when a model is put together - just different assembly instructions are followed.

RAW editing simply changes the assembly instructions for the 'box of bits' which is the raw image data. The raw data stays exactly the same.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

- No RAW editor will show you an 'unedited' RAW file. It would look very green and low in contrast. In fact pretty weird altogether.

Like this:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/raw.jpg