jessevad

i would suggest to also try to get a 200mm for the Pentax 6x7 if you are seriously interested in portraits. THe 105 will not be enough focal length for portraits. It has comparable angle of view with 50mm lens for 35mm camera. I still have a Pentax 67 II with all lenses upto 300mm .... Should start to use this beast again for black and white.

I use the SMC Pentax 67 75mm f2.8AL for portraits. Sometimes the 90mm f2.8 LS is used. There really is no best or ideal f/length for portraits -- all photographers will have their own preferences, style and shooting arrangements and portraiture is one genre where there is a huge amount of variation.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Hello all,

First post here so I appreciate any advice y'all can give. I'm considering buying a Pentax 67 to begin experimenting with medium format. I have experience with 35mm film photography but not medium format. It seems like eBay is basically the only place to buy the 67. Anyone have any other recommendations or is eBay the best bet? Also, I'm hoping to get the 105mm 2.4 lens but it seems like the glass on most have yellowed. Is this avoidable and how much of an impact on pictures does the yellowing have? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

...not sure if you've made a decision. Just reading the multitude of things that can go wrong with the Pentax is pretty alarming. Compare that with the Mamiya RB 67. What goes wrong with them?? Lights seals - yes but a diy fix. Interlocks can get sticky. The original doesn't even have them. It's a much safer bet.

Just reading the multitude of things that can go wrong with the Pentax is pretty alarming.

Not alarming at all.

There are a multitude of 6x7 / 67 cameras out there that have been abused as a matter of course through heavy, persistent professional use. The things I listed in my post are very symptomatic of this. They are not ideal cameras for many people, nor are Hasselblads, Bronnies and Mammies. My camera was purchased OS/NIB from an estate and has given absolutely no problems anywhere during years and years of dedicated landscape and portraiture. Others I have seen have not fared so well at all, mostly by amateurs who have no idea what they are doing and screw things up so badly as to render the camera inoperative. But then, they also do that to Hassies, Bronnies and Mammies!!

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans