Happy 100th Birthday, Nikon and the Development of the D850

ShunCheung

Sony's 100-400 is about 15% more expensive than the Nikon 80-400

Let's not forget that the Nikon's introductory price was a rather shocking $2700 (some four years ago)! The first $400 rebate came a year later IIRC; it's current price is about halfway between that of the Canon (with its current rebate) and the new Sony lens. Sony's A-mount currently sells for $2200, the same price as the introductory price of the Canon.

what the D850 has to do with mirrorless

Nothing really. Except that it isn't one, of course. My comment regarding being cautious about buying anything Nikon until more is known about Nikon's mirrorless plans applies more to lenses than cameras (cameras come and go, lenses usually stay a lot longer). For some, a D850 acquired now may already need replacing by the time the first Nikon mirrorless comes along ;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact I didn't account for the current rebate in the 80-400. The A mount 70-400mm is less expensive but it doesn't get as good reviews (Dxomark score 22 for the FA 70-400 II on A99 II vs. 29 for the FE 100-400 on A7R II and 24 for the Nikon 80-400 on D800E; sharpness scores 18, 36 and 19, respectively). I don't think one can expect the FE version's price to fall to $2200 any time soon (greater complexity 12/18 vs. 16/22 elements/groups; dual motor design vs. single motor). However, one can argue that such high image quality warrants a premium. My preference is towards wider apertures because of typical lighting conditions available where I live and like to shoot. I've been very happy with the 300/4 PF and am likely to get the 300/2.8 once Nikon offer a fluorite version.

A new system won't just change the world overnight. For me the photography I can do in the next 10 years will be more relevant than the 10 following that. While I recognize that technology changes, I try to focus on what my current goals are and how best to achieve them instead of counting on something that may or may not exist in the future.

Because it would use the D500 chassis (obviously with a larger prism housing) and allow the use of the MB-D17 (if Nikon is smart) from the D500. The D850 sensor would be the scaled (in area) version of the 20.9MP sensor of the D500 (which would make it 47MP) and it would allow the same 10fps (either in DX mode only or also in FX). Also being the FX equivalent of the D500 and an upgraded version of the D810 isn't mutually exclusive, is it?.

Truth be told, I don't see that happening.

If it were indeed the case, it would make the D8xx bodies in basically every conceivable at least equal to if not better than the Dx series bodies.

The 8xx bodies(all of them) are currently the Nikon resolution kings, but they do so at a cost of both speed and build quality vs. both the D5 and the D500.

I LOVE my D800, and don't feel any pressing need to upgrade to a D810. The only Dx series body I've owned(and I use it a lot) is a D2x. When it was new, of course it was positioned as the slower, higher resolution counterpart to the D2H. Still, it delivers on speed, especially in the weird crop mode that ups it to 8fps. Going back to the D800, though, I don't need a high speed camera. It suits my slower, more contemplative style. I use medium format a decent amount and large format some, and although it's a LOT faster to use than either of those it still fits in with that same mindset to me.

Granted if I bought a D850 I know I wouldn't be compelled to use the high speed modes, but the thought of the amount of data that would necessarily come from that sends a shiver up my spine. I already find it tedious enough with the 36mp RAW files, and there's the fact that a 64gb card doesn't even hold 750 RAW frames. At 10fps from a 40 some odd MP sensor, you're going to have to get a lot of data through the camera really quickly and you're going to need a lot of media on hand to deal with it. I know this probably sounds like an argument from 15 years ago(how do you handle all that data from a 12mp camera?) but at least now I already see a bottleneck from the camera and equipment I have. I've been using the high end Sandisk CF cards then pulling them via USB 3.0 directly from the camera to Lightroom, but it still takes more time than I'm use to(for reference, I'm using a 2012 MBP with a quad core i7 and putting them onto a Samsung EVO SSD) even for a relatively modest number of files.

I'll be interested to see what Nikon delivers. A variant on the current body with the sensor from the A7r II might at least catch my interest, but I don't see a pressing need to completely transform the camera. Like I said, let the D500 and Dx bodies do what they do best, and then leave the D800 where it currently excels in the Nikon line-up.

I have a question. Where did Nikon have the 100th anniversary stuff made? I don't mean cameras and lenses. I mean the neck strap, camera bag, 1/2 size Nikon F, glass Nikon I, T shirt. Wow if the T Shirt is made in Japan would be so great.. Japanese made clothing are great.

If you don't know or don't want to answer it's fine. Please don't flame me for asking.

"Japanese made clothing are great."

- You mean like the Super.Dry.JPN stuff? Or is that .superdry.jpn.? Or SuperDry.jpn? Or Super.Dry.Japan?

I've seen idiots wearing about every combination and it all looks like cheap knockoff tat. So I do hope you were being sarcastic BeBu.

"Japanese made clothing are great."

- You mean like the Super.Dry.JPN stuff? Or is that .superdry.jpn.? Or SuperDry.jpn? Or Super.Dry.Japan?

I've seen idiots wearing about every combination and it all looks like cheap knockoff tat. So I do hope you were being sarcastic BeBu.

I doubt that any of those you mentioned are made in Japan.

Some "leaked" D850 slides provide some more "information" (still nothing official from Nikon but there are rumors about an official announcement in the third week of August).

45.75MP

9 fps with new MB-D18 battery grip and EN-EL18a battery (that sure adds to the cost of the setup)

0.75x viewfinder magnification (AFAIK that's the largest one I've seen for FX); hope the eyepoint is such that one can see it all (with glasses).

ISO 64-25600

some quiet shooting mode using only an electronic shutter (live view, of course); this would be a big surprise.

I quite like the sound of 'in-camera' focus stacking, or at least the taking of the stack if not the final flatten, as it were.

With improved lens control, this was an obvious step for someone to make.

Maybe Focus-Stacking is as important as 8K Timelapse?

I already do the the former, so will try out the later:)