Can you Modify a Paterson reel to take 2.25" sheet Film?

If it is less than the width of 120, you should be able to get them into the reel.

I suppose you could tape some sheets together, such that they don't slide over each other.

Or get an actual sheet film tank.

-- glen

I've processed it in a Yankee Clipper tank, although it's been a little while(my 2x3 Crown is mostly a decoration now). As I recall, it was either just a bit too wide or narrow(don't remember which) to fit the 120 setting correctly. On the Yankee reels, you can pretty easily work them to an intermediate setting although don't count on it staying there for an extended period of time(i.e. check every time you load). I don't have as much experience with Patterson reels, but I suspect you could do the same.

A typical Patterson reel has a single spiral, which would make it very difficult to insert cut film without overlapping. Even if loaded correctly, agitation would likely cause the sheets to shift.

There are reels for cut film, but there are several spirals, one for each sheet. I have one for 4x5 film. The best way to process cut film is using hangers, which are frames to hold one sheet of film, supported at the top edge of a vertical tank. I've processed 4x5 film in a tray, but you have to be very careful not to damage the emulsion. Processing time is much longer than for prints, and the emulsion is much softer. You agitate by shuffling film from the bottom to the top, emulsion side up, periodically throughout the development.

There are reels for cut film, but there are several spirals, one for each sheet. I have one for 4x5 film.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware offhand of any such beast for 2x3.

If you hunt around, you might find some old hangers for use in a tank, but they don't show up anywhere near as often as 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 hangers do.

BTW, I do 4x5 in the relatively new to the market SP-455 tank. It is all plastic, but has two hangers that hold two sheets each. It's great as it's a daylight tank, only takes 16 oz. of chemistry, and gives good consistent development.

There is this one:

Yankee Cut Film Daylight Developing Tank CF-45 B&H Photo Video

which I remember knowing about not long after I got my first Yankee II just about 50 years ago.

Just before our summer vacation in 1967, we (my father) bought the tank.

I had a few rolls of VP120 and a Yashika TLR for the trip.

While visiting Butchart gardens in BC, I found a roll of VP620 that someone had thrown in the trash.

That was my first (practice) roll to develop. (Pictures came out fine.)

A few years ago, I bought an unused Yankee II on eBay, mostly for 110 film.

(Which I haven't done recently.)

If one really wanted to, one could add new notches on the spindle for the Yankee II, so

it would stay in position for different widths. I do remember having to be careful changing

the width, as the spring was a little strong, and the plastic could break.

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...

Nikor products (nothing to do with Nikkor or Nikon) did make a rack for developing 2.25" x 3.25" sheet film in a stainless steel daylight tank. It required an "18 ounce" tank. The rack looks a lot like a pair of crinkle french fry cutters. They show up reasonably often on eBay, and go relatively cheaply.

Here's a completed listing for just the insert: Nikor Stainless Steel Cut Sheet Film Adapter Medium Format Rare Looks Unused | eBay

The big rubber ring is for "extending" a 15 ounce Nikor tank to be taller. I suspect that winds up drippy. Better to find this insert along with the 18 ounce tank, or just use the Q30 30-ounce tank (for two 120 or four 135 reels).

There's also the adjustable Nikor reel and tank for sheet and pack film to 4x5 inch, but it does not go down to 2.25" x 3.25", and rarely sells for less than $100.

• 1 month later...