Recently just got a Nikon D70...

robert_beaudoin

It's my first actual DSLR, so I was wondering if you guys had any advice about it. Does it have any quirks i should know about? Any recommendations at what it's best at? That kinda stuff.

Other then that I'm just planning on using it as my all-rounder camera and get one or 2 more lenses for it as my funds dictate (still need an actual cpu lens <_<;).

I remember having a lot of fun with it. It's fine for most situations except where the AF or 3 fps and limited buffer become limiting. Be careful of blowing highlights and try to keep the ISO low, or you'll see much more noise than with current models. It has a relatively high flash sync speed of 1/500 s, which opens up a few interesting possibilities. There's only one cross-type AF sensor (the centre focus point) - I missed the odd shot when relying on the outer (line) sensors, which sometimes wouldn't find focus. The plastic covering material tends to go sticky over time, especially in an enclosed space. Some D70 bodies failed permanently with the notorious 'blinking green light of death' (BGLOD) syndrome - Nikon used to fix this for free, but I'd be surprised if they still do. Perhaps a camera that has survived this long is immune? When inserting the CF card, be careful not to force it or put it in the wrong way, or you risk damaging the pins.

Haven't owned a D70, but have been a long time owner/user of its 'successor' the D70S, which apart from some IMO minor updates is virtually identical to it

Only traded it in about a year and a half ago, as the difference in UI between the D70S and my FX bodies became too big a hindrance for 'mixed' use

'Upgraded' to a D7100, but as I use DX as a grab and go option, don't really find it a major/significant improvement (guess I got spoiled with my D3/D800/DF's)

Although dating from 2004, the D70 IMO still is a very usable DSLR, despite the (compared to my D7100) 'mere' 6 Megapixels, no video, 'limited' ISO (max around ISO 800 after which it gets somewhat noisy) and only 5 AF points

Another big plus also was/is that the max flash synch speed is actually higher then the official 1/500th with certain flash units, compared to the 1/250th of the current crop of Nikon DSLR's (OK, unless you use HSS or FPP compatible units, but those weren't there yet in 2004)

And the 18-55 kitlens (still use the one that came with my D70S, even on my D7100) really is remarkably good despite its price and humble intentions ('just' a kitlens)

When it was introduced, it generally impressed with the sturdy built quality (especially compared with its then rival the EOS 300D), reliable AF and despite low (although at the time of its introduction that wasn't the case, especially for an 'entry' model) pixelnumber excellent IQ eg

Nikon D70 Review

I used my D70S for years next to promodels like D1, D2X and D3 as a small(er) lighter and cheaper (for occasions when I feared bringing an expensive camera along because of possible damage) alternative

Used it for catwalk, as a 2nd body at weddings (once even was bombarded on the spot to shoot a complete wedding, despite only having the D70S and a 18-55mm kitlens with me - no additional lenses, bodies, batteries of flashes - and managed to pull of the job with, for everyone, satisfactiry results despite of that), concerts and PJ work eg

20100731 Tropical Carnaval Rotterdam by Paul K or 2013 Amsterdam Gay Pride Canal Parade by Paul K

Some time after it's introduction there was a problem with the electronics,, the socalled BGLOD (Blinking Green Light of Death) 'syndrome (Nikon issued a service note over it in 2005https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2408780515/nikonadvisory) but as far as I know it got solved after that and did not (re)appear since

So you should be able to have plenty of fun with it, and in case it unexpectedly breaks down, another one won't break the bank

Richard and Paul pretty much summed it up already. Limited usable ISO range (200-800) and limited dynamic range (very easy to blow out highlights). Was my first DSLR back in 2004. Came with a 18-70 kit lens, not a bad lens at all (no longer available new, you'd have to find a used one if you are interested. Not a lens I would want to use on more modern higher MP cameras though). Depending on which lenses you intend to purchase, you may want to look at current Nikon kits with a more modern DSLR; you might find a good deal (kits are often heavily discounted to the point that the kit with two lenses is cheaper than buying the two lenses separately).

This was my first digital camera purchased in 2005. I still use the 18-70 lens on my D7100 because it is a very sharp copy of this lens. I did a lot of shots indoors at max iso--1600 which turned out fine. I have made some 16x20 inch prints from the meager 6 mp images, which are very impressive. Shoot in RAW and process with current PS ACR and you will be amazed at the quality you can get. In my folders you will see many examples of shots I did with this camera.
  • Like 1

I've used the D70 at ISO 1600, but I normally shot at the lowest ISO 200, and going up only when I had to.

If my D70 had not died on me, I would still be using it.

Do you have any lens for it?

I used the kit lens that came with the D70, 18-70. It is a great general purpose lens, only lacking VR.

A less expensive alternative is the 18-55. But you sacrifice the long end. The newer model of this lens has VR.

The 18-105 VR is a more modern general purpose lens, and it has VR.

See if you can find a 18-70. You should be able to find one for a reasonable price.

If you want VR the 18-105 VR is my preferred option. Though I have the longer 18-140 VR on my D7200.

An 18-55 VR + 55-200 VR make a nice 2-lens kit. The 18-55 is smaller and lighter than the 18-105.

Be CAREFUL of mounting lenses on the D70.

Some of the old manual lenses will NOT work.

Compatibility Table

I never had D70 + 18-70mm of my own, but shot with one on several occasions. Back then auto-iso feature was new and I liked it very much. I usually shot nef, sometimes jpeg fine. Noise was sometimes dominant, but back then Noise Ninja was free, so why not to spend some time in post processing. As far as I know the D70 I used is still functional. There was once writing issue with CF card that was not formatted like for ages, but I assume formatting fixed the issue.

I also shot NEF with the D70, using Nikon's own raw converter (Capture NX-D and ViewNX-i are the current versions, both free downloads). Dfine 2, part of the Nik collection of PS plugins that Google has now made available as a free download, would probably be a good option for cleaning up higher ISO D70 files. If you don't have Photoshop or another package that's compatible with PS plugins, you can (on Windows at least) use it in standalone mode by finding the Dfine2.exe executable in the program directory, making a shortcut, and dragging a copy of your file to the shortcut icon. Don't use the original image file with Dfine in standalone mode, as it overwrites the input file when it saves.