The change of times - are you guys mostly using FX?

RaymondC

What format are you using with your dSLRs?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What format are you using with your dSLRs?

• FX only
    • DX only
    • FX and DX.

At least I have never heard (read) this expression before, but how fitting.

Yeah and you should see all the screwdrivers that I have to use for different things, sheesh. I think I have about 36 screwdrivers.

Luckily some are "bits" where I have one handle with multiple bits. That saves a LOT of space.

Similar to kmcgrew, I am now looking for an "in betweener."

A camera in between my P&S and my D7200 DSLR.

I found the P&S sometimes frustrating to use, but the D7200 too much for the event.

I am thinking about a mirrorless (like the Nikon 1) or a D3000 series with my old 18-70 lens or an 18-55.

As an enthusiast, I use DX (D300) for sports and action, and FF (Sony a7Rii) for portrait, travel and landscapes. Occasionally, when I use FF for sports (video 4k and frame grab 8mp images at 30 fps), I set the body into 1.5 cropped mode and use 70-200 as 105-300.

Recently, I bought an 300mm PF VR (instead of upgrading to D500) and it really makes a great setup for both DX and FF bodies.

I've been using FX since it was introduced, I never liked the 1.5x conversion factor. After 30+ years of shooting with a 35mm SLR I had all of the FOV's of every focal length burned into my mind and hated when Nikon turned my 20mm into a 30mm and having to buy a 12-24mm zoom for my DX.

However there is another side to this, if you shoot distant objects DX with it's 1.5x is helpful and your always using the sweet spot of the lens.

Recently I did a test for my own curiosity, I set up some NBS test charts and took comparison images between my D750 and wife's D3300 (both having 24mp sensors). I set the cameras up at 26x the focal length (distance) using the same 50mm f1.4 afs lens @ f4, same illumination, etc. The results of the D3300 were definitely sharper. (roughly 68 l/mm vs 80 l/mm). I found that odd, but the magnification factor of the DX resolved better. I did a test for noise between the same cameras, this is where FX shined.

So, the answer to your question really depends on the type of photography you enjoy and your subjects.

Over the years, I have used 135, 6x6, 6x7, DX and am now back with the format I started out with, 24x36 but in FX disguise. (I do not count the Instamatic and Kodak Disc format cameras from growing up.).

I recently switched from DX to FX and consider it a good decision and investment.

I just wish there was a way of removing the 200-500mm 5.6 from the list of lenses that those muppets at Nikon made to be NOT ALLOWED on the Nikon 1 J5.

Although not quite to the same magnitude that reach is better on DX than FX, CX IQ, in good light, is pretty good on the J5.

Sports D500. Studio and tripod D810. My D3S doesn't get much use these days.

With the current price drop of the D750, that is really tempting to go FX rather than D7200 DX, at about the same price.

But I do not recall seeing a FX lens similar to the 18-140 VR DX lens, or at least the 18-105 VR DX. The 18-140 VR DX makes a really nice General Purpose lens.

Similar to kmcgrew, I am now looking for an "in betweener."

A camera in between my P&S and my D7200 DSLR.

I found the P&S sometimes frustrating to use, but the D7200 too much for the event.

I am thinking about a mirrorless (like the Nikon 1) or a D3000 series with my old 18-70 lens or an 18-55.

Gary:

I have a Canon PowerShot S120 as my "point and shoot" but on manual mode it does great. (One of my favorite photos was taken with this camera, but I get an error when I try to upload the JPG image as an attachment to this post. You can view the Mumbai Harbor at Sunrise photo in my personal gallery.) I also have a Canon PowerShot G12 as my "point and shoot plus" camera--as there is an adapter which permits filters to be added. It is also my underwater camera, as I have the housing and external flash for the G12.

Those four cameras, Canon S120, Canon G12, Nikon 1 V2, and D800 cover 98% of my shooting requirements. The other 2% are covered by my medium format and large format film cameras. Let's face it, a 6x7 transparency scanned at 4800 dpi is a 132 MP image and at 6400 dpi it's a 234 MP image. Somebody show me a sensor capable of those resolutions for a reasonable price.