New PN site: repeated logging in; error 404 on viewing uploaded image; can't get image URLs

Mark Keefer

Several times today the site makes me log back in. Once after uploading a new image, then going to view new image I got the Error 404. Hit go back home and had to log in again. Also if opening a second window in the browser to view another part of PN to look something up while posting, I have to log in on the new tab.

Also found I will get error 404 to view new image upload, but after I edited the photo info and selected the directory to put it in, the error stopped happening.

Also there is no way to select the image URL from one of my photos in my portfolio so that I can insert the image URL into posting a forum message. It might be nice if, at least for the image owner, to have a get image URL button. I understand this was probably done to keep people from stealing your images by right clicking and save.

Cheers, Mark

We are looking into user sessions and extending them. The way it is now, if you are inactive on the site for ~ 10 minutes it will time out but I believe we can extend that timeline.

As for the reponse from lightrasp - thank you for your feedback, but swearing in the forums is prohibited.

Whoa! Folks keep it civil. There is no call for profanity and nasty attitude. You can make your statement in a civil way. We are grown ups. The new site is functioning, Give this a chance, there is good stuff here, just a bit different and a few new ways to make sure what you are doing works. I have been able to do 99% everything the old site could do plus there are some cool new items if you take the time to explore what the new format has to offer.

The new site can handle larger photos and still supports the message forums. It is a matter of learning how to navigate it. So we are getting photo quality similar to 500px and we still have forums. This is a great combo and something I am not finding elsewhere.

A few things to note I have found quickly:

• When uploading a photo into a message forum, you are given the option to choose Thumbnail or Full view. Selecting Full view and the photo displays in the forum like they used to.
  • When uploading photos to your portfolio, you must select all the info, what gallery is it going into, name it, fill the about .photo, tags. make public or private, Choose category. Save or update.
  • From the main screen, choose Explore, you will see choices to view photos;
    • all recent photos> uploaded photos made public
    • by catagory
    • and more

[*]You can get admirations and comments if people browse this way. It is like the new critique forum.

[*]We still the have the forums. No Words, Nature, Canon Photo Thursday, Nikon Photo Wednesday. Casual Photo Conversations and more.

Take the time to look Explore, learn how to navigate and do stuff, it is working. There may be a glitch, help out and take note what you were doing and what happened so you can clearly explain it here.

We have the potential to take PN to a new level, the same level as the newer photo sites, yet still has the forums and quality of the old PN, this is not the same as last time it was launched with serious bugs, it is behaving much better with a few creeks here and there, the sky is not falling. Breath, speak rationally, please don't kick and scream profanities and be nasty to our PN team that are working their tails off to make this a modern site with the best of the new and the old.

I can see it works, it is just a learning curve. The old PN was always being tweaked, the new one will to.

• Rationally explain a bug or error and maybe someone can help you.
  • Don't behave like a 14 year old brat typing inflammatory profanities behind remote anonimity of a psuedo screen name.
  • This isn't Yahoo Chat or My Space.
  • This is a site for professional and serious amateur photographers.
  • The site is for people over 18 years old. If you are, act like it, no matter how upset you are.

Regards,

Mark

Cheers, Mark

Agreed that shouting profanities at people isn't going to help. I hope we can avoid that.

That said, there's no denying that quite a lot of features aren't working right and need fixing. It's really not just a case of familiarity, things genuinely aren't all working. I hope the dev team are on it; I hope we can support them, and yelling won't help. On the other hand, more information about what's going on (and why) might stave off some of the shouting!

Glenn: Historically on photo.net I've been logged in for years. It's sheer luck that I even remember my password (or the email address associated with it). What is the benefit of logging people off after ten minutes? "Extending it" only works for me if you mean "infinitely". I typically leave tabs open and come back to them after a weekend; if I have to log in every time, I would like to know there's a real user advantage for me putting up with the inconvenience. (If there is one, I'll accept it gracefully...)