Would you buy a A99 as of April 2015 or is it too outdated?

tim_drake

I have a lot of full frame A mount glass and the prices of a new A99 are looking better. I really want GPS in the camera body and the

A99II is said to be losing GPS. I am mainly shooting landscapes. So what would the Sony-Minolta group advise? Thanks

<p>I doubt that you would be disappointed, but it would be worth seeing what the new announcement is. I think Sony would make a lot of people happy if they brought out a GPS unit for those cameras - A- and E-mount - that don't come with GPS as standard. Undoubtedly this is a good time to buy, just as a new model is introduced. (The price on Amazon UK has nearly halved since the camera was introduced, according to <a href="http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Translucent-Mirror-Interchangeable-Camera-24-3MP-Black/product/B009XR5PQ0?context=browse">this</a>.)</p>

Thanks for your thoughts. It is really an overly broad question that I asked. The physical size of the A99 is ok with me and

I really don't need WiFi. The limiting factor in image quality could be the lenses I have. I was considering the A99 because

when I print I usually print really big. Thanks

<p>So, GPS. I almost bought an A77 for the same reason when they were selling them off a few months back. I like the GPS in my A65. At the same time, I'm somewhat resigned to losing it someday. It's not like it's the most accurate thing - I'll sometimes find that it's suddenly off by 50 yards from one shot to the next, and the altitude has a tendency to show up in the negative numbers if I'm near sea level.<br /><br />If you haven't, you might want to look at Jeffrey Friedl's geotagging extension for lightroom, and his GPS unit comparison from a few years ago: http://regex.info/blog/2012-01-15/1922<br>

If you're carrying a Smartphone anyway, it may be no less accurate than the GPS in the camera. A GPS app with a tracklog might be the way to go.<br>

In terms of the camera line itself, they just announced Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 and a 16-35 f/2.8 full frame A-mount lenses.<br>

If I had a collection of high-quality A-mount lenses, I might get the A99. I also might look at the A7II and the higher-end A-mount adapter. That way, I could use the smaller FE lenses when I wanted something small to carry, still use the A-mount glass, and if Sony decides to move away from A-mount, I'd be on the current platform.</p>