Sony A-99

james_f6

<p>I have decided putting off for the moment getting the Sony A-77 and sticking with my A700.<br>

I have been trying to search the internet about information on the Sony A-99 Full frame and its release date (approx)<br>

I have checked out places like Sony Rumours, anyone else know any more details or rumours?<br>

I just think saving a bit more and waiting rather than going with the A-77 at this time might be the right move (At least for now.)</p>

<p>Yeah I am thinking FF is my next step. Even though I am a serious amateur, I do take portraits and landscapes and blow them up to poster size.<br>

I have had a good think about putting a stop to my A-77 purchase. I don't want to have to switch after being a Minolta man all my life in order to go FF for a current camera. I really don't want to step back into the A900, not when one is soon on the horizon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There isn't any official information, but rumors have it, there may be a September announcement. Follow the rumors here: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com<br>

<br />If you want a traditional FF camera with a OVF like the Minolta Maxxum 9 you will like the A900, otherwise wait for the A99 which will likely share many features of the A77, tough with a FF sensor. Hopefully it will improve upon the A77's SLT and EVF technology and performance. </p>

<p>FF, and the enthusiast market, in general does not seem to be high priority for Sony. Which other company has ceased production of these cameras without a replacement? A700, A850, and the A900? Considering that, it would not be a surprise at all to see a D600 FF from Nikon before Sony announces a new FF camera! However, Nikon for me at this point is not an option and I'm assuming the same is true for James. Too much invested in the Alpha Mount system already, including multiple Minolta film cameras that I use regularly, and love, to switch systems. Arguably, Sony is losing potential customers to Nikon and Canon because of this strategy. However, I understand Sony, after all they should be in the business of making profit, as disappointing as it may be for me. There are still a few new A900s to be had and of course used A850s and A900s. And those are still excellent cameras. I'm eager to see if with improvements in technology, if Sony can achieve higher IQ than the A900 from the new camera, even with the "T" mirror in place. I'm guessing we may see the camera on shelves (even if in limited qualities) in November in time for Christmas shopping. That would be my target if I were Sony! :-)</p>

<p>Indeed, I do not want to shift to another brand. But I am getting into a level of photography in my life where I am starting to print up big images of Family portraits, still life and landscapes that are well beyond A3. So Full frame is starting to become very important for me.<br>

I am not made of money, I have some Minolta, Konica Minolta and a Sony Prime lenses here and there that I have collected over the years, as well as Flashes and plenty of accessories.<br>

I really cannot afford (right now) to make a shift. I was thrilled when the A900 came out and thought "Yes, now we can be taken seriously again, and also start being a competitor in the pro market with a full frame assault.... Then is all vanishes.<br>

If Sony cannot start coming how will some full frames, then I really have to make a shift after a lifetime of being a Minolta man, and sticking through them thick and thin.<br>

Right now my move would most likely be to Nikon, BUT that is still some way off, 'if ever'. September and the next flagship model for Sony will be my decider.<br>

Right now I do think they will come through for me with a full frame.</p>

<p>A few months back <a href="http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/03/12/the-evf-future/">David Kilpatrick</a> wrote this in his website:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Paul Genge had a short exchange of information with me when I was considering selling my Alpha 900 and all my frame Alpha lenses (after starting to use the A77). He said I’d regret selling my good full frame lenses when I replaced my Alpha 900 with a full frame model I would just not believe. His message was ‘you wait – you’ll not regret it’.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's easy to think Sony isn't particularly serious about its prosumer segment when you focus on the greater timelag between major upgrades relative to canikon, but that overlooks the specifics of their recent history in the interchangeable lens slice of the camera market as well as the innovations (both good and not so good) they're bringing. They're clearly moving along a different path from the Big Two, and these past 3-4 years that includes an increasingly pronounced "twin model" strategy whenever they announce a new generation of camera that contains more drastic technology changes instead of just incremental improvements.</p>

<p>It sort of happened first with the twin announcements of the a500/550 where the sub-prosumer segment was new in the Sony lineup and the internals didn't yet change all that much, but then it grew more emphatic with the NEX 3/5 and when the a33/55 were announced shortly after - and alongside the a560/580. Topping that all off with the a65/77 pairing announced on the same day as the NEX 7 and its very similar sensor + oled combination packaged in a completely different housing (so in a sense representing a "mutant third sibling" of the a77).</p>

<p>In other words, Sony makes us wait a bit longer in between major upgrades, but then rewards the patient with a choice between two or more new models that are clearly related yet come with distinctive price versus specs combinations, and thus give us genuine choices to suit our individual wants and personal budgets. Rumors channeled by Andrea at SAR have mentioned repeatedly that the a99 will coincide with or closely precede at least one other ?less expensive? FF SLT model, and given the precedents I wouldn't be at all surprised if that turns out to be true - especially if the a99 will really be introduced at $2800.</p>

<p>All of which makes me think even more that it would be unwise to lose patience now and either abandon the system or give in and go for an a65/77 (or NEX7 or a57) right now, rather than waiting a few months longer to see what's supposedly just around the corner.</p>

<p>And one last note on the subject of needing FF for larger prints: just a few months before Kodak sold its prints/enlargements ordering website to Shutterfly, I'd asked them about resolutions for the different sizes of enlargements. Their customer service told me that before printing at 16x20 and 20x30 inch my 10+ Mpx uploads were rescaled by their hardware to a resolution of ... 4 Mpx! The prints in question came out perfectly sharp to the eye at a half foot viewing distance or further, and so I would assume that even the "old" a580 or the new a57 with their highly praised 16 Mpx sensors will more than suffice for producing tack sharp door-sized prints.</p>

<p>I currently have the a77 and I'm blown away with it's capabilities, especially in the sports action area. Not bragging but I also have 2 a55s, an a350 and the a900. I also keep on hand a Minolta 7D, just in case. I plan on ordering the a99 as soon as it becomes available. However, a word of caution - be prepared to spend mega dollars when you go to FF. Most of the old Minolta glass will work but it takes experience to shoot in FF and actually get a shot of what you see in the viewfinder. I will more than likely sell my a900 to help offset the cost of the a99.</p>

<p>As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong, because I would still like to know) only the DT marked lenses will not work with the full frame camera?<br>

Apparently they will be releasing two full frames A99 and A88, so the A99 will be the flagship, and A88 will be their cheaper full frame.<br>

Just like they did when they did A77 and A65. Nearly the same, but one built for more pro work while the other more the consumer.</p>

<p>I have all the 7's (7d,a700 & a77 ), and with the a77'S 24mpx on a crop sensor or C format size sensor you get great res. at low ISO's and is FF really needed ? These days I don't really think so. And with that I would see no reason to switch. I have the lenses to fit the format and it works well. I've seen side by side shots taken with a A900, A850 & A77 and I'd have to say you can not tell them apart, no kidding. The only place I'd say you may see a differance is @ high ISO if you pix peep at 150% or higher. Don't waste your time or money waiting around the prices are just getting hire and you prob. don't really need it. I don't see any way to justify your waiting. It's not really a crop sensor it's just another format. (Med format, F.F. APS-C, canon 1.6, 3/4's,and so on ).</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I think there are two excellent reasons for using full frame cameras: all that lovely legacy glass (not to mention the seductive Zeiss Planar 85mm which keeps calling to me), and the more refined control of depth of field. I love working in low light with big holes in the middle of the lens and golfball grain (sorry - can't bring myself to drop the old terminology).<br>

Also, for some of us, still using film, it's a matter of not having to have two separate "heads" to wear when choosing lenses. I still use a good deal of film, though I no longer use colour emulsions: few good ones around since the demise of Agfachrome Professional RSX... But Ilford look stable, and FP4 remains a benchmark for nice, robust results.<br>

I agree with the "hold on" view, anyway. If push came to shove, an Alpha 900 would be an awesome beastie for many years to come, even if the 99 never showed up.<br>

Indeed, I decided that a cheap 850 in a local computer shop should go into the cupboard as backup. Just in case...</p>

• 1 month later...