Sony Discontinues Alpha A850 Full Frame DSLR

carsten_kraut2

<p><strong>My A850 was stolen a couple of weeks ago and was getting prices to replace - but my normal supplier said it was no longer available????? Surely not, I thought - its only been out a few years and Sony are supposed to be expanding their range, not shrinking it! Anyway, a quick google search revealed:</strong><br>

<strong> </strong><br>

<strong>Softpedia: Even though Sony hasn't made an official announcement at this point in time, it seems like the </strong><strong>Japanese company has discontinued its flagship Alpha A850 DSLR camera which uses a 35mm full frame sensor.</strong><br /><br />B&H Photo has posted a <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/646525-REG/Sony_DSLRA850_Alpha_DSLR_A850_Full.html" target="_blank">notice</a> in its listing for the A850 DSLR which reads “this item has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available.”<br /><br />Furthermore, <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/05/26/could.sony.be.exiting.the.high.end.dslr.market/" target="_blank">Electronista</a> reports that the high-end Sony <strong><a href="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Panasonic-Makes-Official-the-Lumix-DMC-G3-Micro-Four-Thirds-Camera-199962.shtml" target="_blank">camera</a></strong> can no longer be purchased from the SonyStyle website as this is listed as an “out of stock” item.<br /><br />The Alpha A850 was released in September, 2009, and it was Sony's second full frame DSLR to be introduced after the A900.<br /><br />The two cameras are closely related as they both share the same 24.6-megapixel CMOS sensor and feature pretty much the same specifications, outside of the burst rate speed and viewfinder coverage.<br /><br />Sony's Alpha A850 was also the cheapest full-frame 35mm camera available on the market as its retail price (body only) was set at $1,999.99.<br /><br />The other contenders to this title are the Nikon D700 and A850's bigger brother, the Alpha A900, and these models are available for $2699.<br /><br />Both DSLRs were introduced at about the same point in time, but are completely different as far as performance is concerned, since the <strong><a href="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sony-Notebooks-to-Offer-Thunderbolt-Support-via-USB-Port-200981.shtml" target="_blank">Sony</a></strong> model features a higher resolution sensor, while the Nikon has better noise reduction.<br /><br />Sony's decision to remove the A850 from its lineup, without first announcing any successor, fuels the rumors which stated that the Japanese company wants to retire from the high-end <strong><a href="http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nikon-Makes-Official-the-D5100-DSLR-Kit-Version-Priced-at-900-193172.shtml" target="_blank">DSLR</a></strong> camera market.<br /><br />Last year, Sony has also discontinued the Alpha A900 in several international markets, including Asia. <br /><br />The Sony Alpha A850 full frame DSLR is still available from a few online retailers, but no one knows how long existing stocks will last. <br /><br /></p>

<p>Commiserations on getting robbed Carsten - did you list the serial number with police and on sites like dyxum? There aren't all that many a850s around, so while the odds of recovering a stolen one are undoubtedly small they're probably not absolutely zero.</p>

<p>J&R still has the a850 listed as in stock, both on their own website and through their Buy.com account (and if I remember correctly they sell through amazon as well). They may be your best bet for buying a "straight" replacement as new, rather than a switch to other models/brands.</p>

<p>FWIW, the a900 and a700 went through very similar paths: discontinued well before there was a clear successor about to roll out & hit the shelves. Sony is perhaps doing this to avoid getting stuck with leftovers, and these days there are so many channels for finding clearance/refurbs/grey market items that more adventurous buyers & opportunity hunters are probably not going to run short for a while longer of chances to find new or like new a850s offered through places like ebay/amazon/keh/dyxum etc.</p>

<p>As an original Minolta Maxxum 7 (then Konica Minolta 7D) user, I'm just not happy with what Sony has done with the pricing of the line. New lenses, etc. are ridiculous expensive. I just took a look at gettng a wired remote release. $59 at Amazon!!!! I vaguely remember it being ~$30 when it was branded as a Minolta. Ended up buying used at keh.com for $6.<br>

With that all said, I really hope that Sony doesn't drop the SLR line. They have made some great advances in body features (although, I still prefer the knob layout of the 7D). Switching to Canon or Nikon would be financially painful.</p>

<p>Last week in Japan, there seemed to be no A850s available but several places had A900 available new. The 850 was a bit of a strange introduction for Sony, coming so soon after the A900 and offering almost the same specs at even lower price. Maybe they keep the A900 for a while and introduce a fixed mirror successor to the A850 (an A880?). 25-30Mp at 10 fps?</p>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=502110">Ilkka</a> wrote:</p>

<p>"Pellicle mirror camera is SLR because it has one lens and reflex viewing through that lens. There is nothing to consider, it is a fact."<br>

But the Sony SLT does not use reflex viewing. The mirror is only for the PDAF sensors.</p>

<p>tom</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Curious..... Today I looked at the website where I bought my A850 (Australian website, sourcing their cameras from Hong Kong), and they are listing it again under 'New' i.e. NEW! Sony Alpha A850 Body Only Digital SLR<br>

This was certainly not the case a few weeks ago, when I first looked at options to replace the stolen A850. <br>

Have they just sourced some more remaining stock? Have Sony resumed some production? Or have the disasters in Japan simply disrupted production for a time? </p>