Minolta Vectis S-1 Problems. Anyone with similar problems?

mark_kesper

<p>Hello.</p>

<p>I've got a used Minolta Vectis S-1 APS SLR. It has stopped starting properly and most often just shows that the bettery is low, even with fresh new batteries. This is the same for both ordinary CR123 and the BP-S1 Battery pack (4 x AA). I wonder if anyone has had the same experience and if it's some easy to fix yourself problem or if it's probably as some electrical part that's broken or so? <br>

I really enjoy the vectis SLR since it's very lightweight, weatherproof and pretty fast to take with you most of the time. (Even if it's of course a huge downside today that APS 400 ASA film is produced any more). <br>

Any advice on this matter is appreciated. <br>

Cheers.</p>

<p>Mark Kesper. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hello Rober and Jimmy! Well, yes I know it's not waterproff and that weatherproff means it can handle rain to some extent (as well as fog and similar conditions). However as I see it it's a big gain compared to more ordinary cameras (in my case a Canon 20D and Minolta Dynax 4). </p>

<p>I have just bought a Vectis S1, with the 22-80 lens. Both are in mint condition. Paid the huge sum of £29-00.! When this camera first came out the body was about £300, and the lens priced in the same region. I use 35mm slr's and med.format. A friend has the S1, and photographs of his, which I have seen have been impressive, so I decided to have one for carrying about.<br>

I will be looking for other lenses to go with the camera. I am certainly looking for the 80-240 lens; but has anyone any recommendations re the other Vectis lenses ? I believe one of them cannot be used in manual focus.<br>

Any suggestions, positive or negative, would be welcome.</p>

<p>My first reaction is that the 22-80 and 80-240 cover the range well. I also have the 50mm f/3.5 macro (as well as other zooms, including a 25-150) which is great to use (though I have put only one film through so far with this lens).</p>

<p>Some samples:<br>

<a title="Budding | APS macro 5 by FlickrDelusions, on Flickr" href=" Budding | APS macro 5 src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5516221938_4e4b070a75_z.jpg" alt="Budding | APS macro 5" width="640" height="364" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Budding | APS macro 5 by FlickrDelusions, on Flickr" href=" Budding | APS macro 5 <a title="Sun dial and clock by FlickrDelusions, on Flickr" href=" Sun dial and clock src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5098/5514095025_e2b69eeb1e_z.jpg" alt="Sun dial and clock" width="640" height="640" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Sun dial and clock by FlickrDelusions, on Flickr" href=" Sun dial and clock <a title="Crocuses | APS macro 2 by FlickrDelusions, on Flickr" href=" Crocuses | APS macro 2 src="http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5516222868_fcf20c7cfe_z.jpg" alt="Crocuses | APS macro 2" width="640" height="364" /></a></p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Howard, All three photographs are impressive. The colour and detail in the crocus shot is outstanding. As a result of obtaining the Vectis S1, and the 22-80 lens, I set out to obtain the 80-240 lens. The one I saw on ebay came with another S1, + 28-56 lens, and the 80-240. My bid of £12-50 was the winner. My wife could not understand why I wanted another S1, but I could not be bothered to explain the logic behind acquiring the Apo lens. I only had to buy 2 filters and 2 clip on caps. I am waiting for film to be returned for the results of both lenses, but mainly to see how the 80-240 has performed.</p>

<p>Thank you, Frederick. Those are all pictures taken with the 50mm macro on fairly outdated film (2006 iirc). Better results should be possible with fresh film and careful scanning.</p>

<p>Acquiring Vectis bodies goes with the territory, I'm afraid, but the lenses are worth it. I have one S-100 and two S-1 bodies, so two of the bodies are in fact just rather elegant rear lens caps.</p>

<p>If you're thinking about equipment to get in future there's a useful resource at <a href="http://www.submin.com/aps/collection/minolta/index.htm">http://www.submin.com/aps/collection/minolta/index.htm</a> - I'd love to pick up the 17mm and 400mm lenses cheap one day. And if anyone ever made a Vectis > NEX adapter I'd be very happy. The only near-solution I have seen is by <a href="http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/07/30/fitting-a-vectis-80-240mm-to-the-nex/">David Kilpatrick</a>, but I'm not really up for a duct-tape solution myself!</p>

<p>Howard, Thanks for that post and the information/link. I have had a look at it and found it interesting. I would like to acquire the BP-S1 for fitting to the S1, but they seem in short supply here in the UK. I prefer a large camera body, and I think the battery pack would give it just that bit more weight. Other than that I am pleased with the S1.<br>

I am still waiting for an exposed film to come back from the lab. to see how the 80-240 apo lens has performed.</p>

<p>Mark Kesper, Did you get your battery problem sorted out ? I have just been on another site this morning, and there was the same identical problem with another S1. The owner stated the battery indicator was showing 'full', but the camera would not work. He took it to Radio Shack and tested the S1 with a new CR2 battery, and everything is working fine, now.<br>

Have got the results from my 80-240 lens, and am pleased with how they have turned out.<br>

Next point : I store 35mm and roll film in the fridge. Can APS film be stored likewise, bearing in mind there are very small metal parts at the bottom of APS canisters ? </p>

<p>Geoff, That must be the second lens in the series which did not have manual focus. I acquired a 28-56 lens with the used S1, and it does not feature manual focus. Now that I have the 80-240 apo lens, I will not be after the 25-150. However, thanks for the update and info. Should a cheap one raise its head for sale, I would bear that point in mind.<br>

Have just got another set of photos back from a lab. in the UK, and they are good results. AF is not a strong point on the Vectis, but it is a handy little camera to carry about.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>It now looks like both Fuji and Kodak have stopped producing APS film. A lab which I used here in the UK supplied a free film(35mm or APS)with every film developed. No free APS film last week, so I contacted them and was told that they could not supply free APS film as they were permanently out of stock. I managed to get some expired Kodak High Definition APS, and the first roll I have used has come back ok. No problems.<br>

Rumour has it that Agfa are still producing APS film. Anyone know for sure ?</p>