Opinions about the new Sony NEX 5 - excited?

tdigi

<p>I dont read Japanese and have no idea what the above list is about but I see the NEX5 is listed together and below the Canon Kiss 4, Nikon D3000 and D5000 which really are the lowest end DSLRs. Also I guess the page says NEX5 is double the price of D3000</p>

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>

<p>The list is for top selling interchangeable lens cameras between May 31 and June 6. The list is updated every week. Two versions of Nex5 are in top 10!. That's a record for Sony. It's been an year for any Sony camera to make it to top 10. Ok, A550 was in top 10 for a couple of weeks. That's it! First week (and Nex is not in all the sores yet), and two version already in top 10! That's a good clue how these camera would do (better than any Sony DSLR ever released).</p>

</p>

<p>And I think Nex-5 "5D" kit includes both lenses (18-55 & 16mm). Both are in top 10. The difference looks to be color (black is at #5 and silver #7).<br>

More Nex models are probably sold too (with different kit combination and colors) but didn't make it top 10 (or top 30).</p>

<p>Wow! I think Adnan has given us the most sensible response by far! :)</p>

<p>Bill, what is this S curve setting that you are referring to? You are referring to some kind of in-camera processing preset for jpgs I assume? I mean my A900 doesn't have such a function! If you want to preserve highlights, shoot raw and underexpose slightly. Both functions which you can do on NEX cameras.</p>

<p>Tommy, I agree that the higher end bodies might be slightly bigger. But I doubt that they would be much bigger or there would be too little product differentiation to the low end alpha bodies. But really the NEX-5 is crazy small. I currently use a couple of rangefinder systems when I want to go light and whilst the lenses are extremely small and light, the bodies are all substantially bigger than the NEX-5. So what I am saying is that the higher end NEX might well be a bit bigger but I would still be very very happy if they provided more controls. I am actually not interested in any of the zoom lenses for the NEX at all, I would pair the body with fixed focal lenses like the 16mm pancake as well as the alpha series 24mm and 50mm. There is currently NO other system that would provide that level of size/weight and image quality combination except for the Leica M9. So until Richard coughs up and buys me a Leica, the NEX is what I am looking at.</p>

<p>Jiun yes a little bigger is probably fine for someone not invested in another system like Canon or Nikon. I currently have 8 Canon lenses so the real appeal for someone like me is the size. The NEX5 seemed appealing because I can pretty much take it anywhere with the 16mm prime. If The NEX 7 is getting closer to the size of a rebel I would just assume go that route.</p>

<p>Obviously this thing ( nex5 and 3 ) is not really geared toward intermediate or advanced photographers which in a way is fine, I mean I plan to get something small to be like a point and click but why not give it some usability like what was done with the Canon G11. The G11 seems to be the same market. </p>

<p>Adnan your right I would still try be interested in trying one out and forming my own opinion, maybe some updates can be made via firmware. But from the look of things, really just in the user interface, I don't see this really working for me. </p>

S-curve might be assisted by DR-Auto setting, but I have not seen examples. In the DCresource.com review of the A550, the samples show DR-Auto helping the shadows but doing little or nothing for the highlights. Unlike the A550, the NEX 3 and 5 do not have adjustable DRO settings.

<p>looks like Sony will flood the market with ADDS during the world cup</p>

<p ><a rel="nofollow" href="

target="_blank">

target="_blank">

<a rel="nofollow" href="

target="_blank">

<a rel="nofollow" href="

target="_blank">

target="_blank">

<p>Usually a company has to advertise a lot for its product, even when it doesn't come out yet, is because that product is not ... and likely it will be ... Obviously, Khan has been trying very hard to ... for the NEX- series.(fill in the blanks as you see fit)</p>

<p>Just had to respond - after finding myself dumped for support of my Konica-Minolta repair by the Sony "we bought 'em but we don't care" guys, I briefly, very briefly considered a Sony Alpha so I could re-use my lenses. I think I'll just hang onto my 40 year old SRT-101 (twice around the world and more) that won't be obsolete in another year, and look at the Canon and Nikon DSLRs as an alternative backup. Sony reminds me of Apple.</p>

<p>

<p>I have no problems with the control. I shoot in aperture/shutter priority mode and that's easy to change with the wheel (as fast as any DSLR). I set ISO to either auto or 200. The reviewers who have to change ISO with every shot while testing the camera might be annoyed that it takes 2 more seconds to change ISO. I don't change ISO with every shot. The camera tends to overexpose but that's not a problem because there is exposure compensation button on the wheel so it's pretty simple to dial-in negative exposure.<br>

If someone is changing the white balance, ISO every two-minutes, he might be a bit annoyed with the interface but nothing in the control bothers me.</p>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So you love the way the controls work yet you have never used it? Please explain how you know you like the control?</p>

<p>What do you mean I don't know what I am talking about? Everything I said is from reputable reviewers. I currently own a 5D2</p>

<p>There is no doubt that any person can "get used to" how any camera operates and can work around and through their idiosyncrasies. But that doesn't mean one should be welcoming Sony's design decisions here. I think criticisms of the UI are valid and appropriate. </p>

<p>It's good that Sony is in the market. Hopefully the early-adopters will buy enough of these that Sony sees value in addressing advanced amateur/professional photographers needs with a less menu-heavy release.</p>