Updating photos does not work

bernhard

Bernhard, yes, you are right. Right now it is impossible to update fotos. I opened a thread on this last week (<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004TbG">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004TbG</a>), but apparently Brian didn't have time to investigate or replay. Right now I don't think that there is a solution, except to delete/re-upload the photo, and losing all the comments/rates in the process (which is something that you may not want to do).

Quite scary... this explains why somebody complained about the fact that after an attemped update the photo seemed to be degraded. At this point it seems to be quite a serious bug. Brian, is there a way to force the purging of the cache for individual photos, once a particular event takes place (in this case, the submission of the edit photo form)? If not maybe you want to set up a cron job clearing the whole cache in a moment of low traffic (e.g. during the night), and put a warning about this in the edit photo form (not ideal, but better than nothing)...

I looked into it again. Obviously you are right, the picture information is being updated at least the picture dimensions are in the database. But the picture that is being served out remains the same, but the browser actually resizes the unchanged picture according to the new picture dimensions in the database. Strangely, when I tried to upload a test image and replace it with another one right after the upload it would change without a hitch. Could there be a difference between 'older' and 'newer' pics?

I am forcing all updated photos out of the cache right now (7:40 PM EST on Saturday). This is a temporary fix for photos that have been updated already.

But until I fix this problem, it will probably continue to be something that won't happen immediately after an update. During the last two months, we've increased the capacity of our servers from around 5.5 million hits per day, to a little over 7 million hits per day, and except on weekends we are now regularly getting just short of 7 million hits per day (occasionally over). The photo cache -- which is on a fast disk and organized in such a way that photos can be retrieved without a database lookup -- was an important part of raising our performance ceiling. So, I don't want to abandon this photo cache if I can avoid it.

Brian, thanks for the temporary fix, which at least solves the problem for the photos that where already updated. I understand the importance of the cache, and I have noticed the improvement of performance, after a period in which the site seemed to be sluggish. Let us know when you find a way to solve the problem. Thanks.