Amateur friendly ,professional photo labs

chuck_parker

I'm not a professional photographer, but I'm looking for a quality

lab thats willing to process my photos without snobbing them, because

I don't do a high of business with them. I believe I'm a pretty

decent photographer, and a good lab I believe will only improve my

photography. I can no longer deal with one hour photo labs.

I've found myself at the following quandry:

First, for color, I'm only shooting print film for now. It's the only medium I have for getting images onto the web. I can't afford a film/slide scanner and I like to give people one of my shots as I always get dupes.

Second, I usually get my color film (Fuji) developed and printed at Wolf/Ritz Camera. Mostly because of cost and because they don't set the exposure for the entire roll based on the first print (unlike a lot of 1-hour places). I'm an amature and am not looking for anything to sell, just to develop (har!) my own skills as a photographer. But lately every Wolf Camera I try seems to be blowing the exposure on my prints. (Maybe I should start complaining about it, I'm not sure, but that's another issue). In a recent roll of night photography, I received several prints that had no black on them, a good indication (unless I'm mistaken) of over-exposure of the print. This was despite my forcing them to write a note on the order slip "Night shots, print all."

So I think I've moved on enough to know more of what I want with prints but I simply can't afford a pro shop. LabOne here in Chicago is where I've gotten B&W processing and contact sheets done, but I've never tried them for color. At $15/roll for developing and contact sheets (for 24H turn-around) it's way too expensive.

So I seem to be at a bit of a crossroads. I think I've advanced past the initial amature stage, but I'm clearly not knowledgable enough nor rich enough to be able to afford "pro" services...

Aside from writing rambling posts on photo.net, what's a photographer to do?

After I hit "confirm" I realized this is the medium format forum. I completely missed that when I started the reply. I apologize for the off-topic response. If the forum maintainer wants to deep-six the response, please do as it is justified.

Thanks.

There is a top pro lab in L.A.: Paris Photo on South La Cienega Blvd. They will process your color and b&w films to your specs. I worked there for 8 years, and they did not offer inexpensive small proofs (4x6) then, but they did make contact and enlarged proofsheets. Ask for Alain or Arnaud, and tell'em Art referred you.

Chuck - I lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan for the past 20 years or

so. The best full service lab in the area is Corporate Color. They

offer all of the pro services you could need, but I always found

them to be attuned to the amateur as well. Recently they started

offering a great machine proof service for 35mm and 120 film, in

color or black and white. They do an especially good job with the

chromagenics, offering proofs corrected, even though printed on

a machine. You'd have to call for the latest pricing. I still use

them for custom prints. They scan transparencies and then

output to traditional wet chemistry papers. Their custom work is

certainly not cheap, but they stand behind all of their work.

Phone number in Grand Rapids is 616-774-9583. Ask for Kevin.

I send my 120 film to the following: C-41/Proofs & Prints - I find McKenna in Iowa (www.mckennapro.com) to be very easy to work with, high quality, and at a fair price. For E-6/Transparencies, I use the prepaid mailers from A&I in California (www.aandi.com). A&I also does a consistently quality job at a fair price.

I can't help you because I leave in Italy but i'm solid with you. I have your same problem. I stopped using negative film because I couldn't know if the colors and exposition was wrong for my mistake or for the lab processing. I started using chrome so I can see the original (supposing the film is well processed) and I can have it printed (cibachrome). I notish that also pro lab handle the film without care (scratch, finger prints, glue!!!) and the prints aren't as good as some years ago. I think will be even worst in the future due to the digital revolution. May be is for this reason that I hate digital?! Finally I have bought a MF slide projector and now I can see my work as it is. I hope the process of the film (very expensive and I don't understand why to process a 220 roll film cost twice the cost of 120; for 135mm film the cost is te same for 12, 24 or 36 exposure) is done with the max care, I think (hope!) they handle the mine togheter with other (professional included). I see a bad future for us that love film.

I have had excellent results with A&I photo in Los Angeles. Their Santa Monica branch has always been nice to me, and extremely friendly, too. Their turnaround time for slides is about 2 hours, and they are open from 7:30 in the morning till 10:00 pm on weekdays -- how could you beat that convenience?! You can send your pictures to them thru B&H or directly by ordering mailers from www.aandi.com. All of the prices for A&I processing are on their web page, too.