�The Basic book of Photography� by the Grimms 2004 edition

Minolta Maxxum 5

Sigma 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom

Minolta 50mm AF 1.7 prime lens

UV filters for both

Polarizing filters for both too

Using Kodak HD 400

Thanks!

Well if I were you I would be using it all the time! Seriously, take a photo with your prime at f/4 and your zoom at f/4 (of the same topic). Then get both enlarged to 8 x 10 and examine them - I am sure that you will want to use your prime more after that. Not only will the images be sharper, but the contrast will be vastly improved.

As for what to take photos of with a 50mm, well my answer would be portraits, landscapes, candids, anything you want! I have shot an entire wedding with only a 50mm and got amazing results. Sure you might have to back up a little, but check those prints, and I think you will agree that it was worth it.

just continue stepping backwards, but don't forget to look behind you before doing so. Btw, if you don't miss the tele range of the zoom, you can sell it and get something wider(28mm?)that will stop you stepping backwards:) Cheers!

You'll need to "learn" to see with the lens. 50mm is narrower than most people think. It covers roughly 40 degrees horizontally, 27 degrees vertically. 50mm actually allows to keep unwanted elements outside of the frame.

It'll be a really good lens in low-light, or to achieve a shallow depth of field.

Go shooting with it. Don't hesitate to shoot ISO 100 film (at f/4 1/60s you can shoot ISO 100 in sunrise/sunset light, overcast weather, or in the shade during the day. Enjoy having enlargements made, 8x10 or even 11x14.

I shoot a lot of environmental portraits with it - mostly kids doing things kids do, in playgrounds, parks, etc. I've shot some landscapes with it, but often go either wider (to get an almost panoramic feel) or narrower to focus in on landscape details or very distant portions of the landscape. It is my favorite lens in-doors.

I would leave it at home if I were wandering into the woods expecting to see some birds or animals. I would not use it for pure portraits, where I expected the face to ultimately fill an 8x10 or larger frame. And I would not bring it to the beach with me, since my environmental portraits there tend to be taken from a greater distance. I haven't used it much when shooting people on horseback, as that, too, usually is better done with bigger lens.

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to learn not to be lazy (using my zoom) and use my feet to frame all my shots. I kind of figured that I would use this lens now more than my zoom. Before I knew what I was doing I thought bigger as better. Not to say that my zoom doesn�t take great pictures too. But it will be interesting to try what Anthony suggested. I haven�t shot a complete roll of film yet but will hopefully do so this weekend to see how my pictures turned out. And Sam the beach is exactly where I plan on taking some photos if I can find the time (with my tripod). CSBA, I�m looking at purchasing a 28mm lens.

My next question is will my built in flash be able to provide enough light for my photos? I took a few outside pictures this weekend when the sun was setting (but still plenty of natural light) and the pop up flash fired on the first picture (in full auto mode). For the second one I went to Apture priority mode and just for fun set the lens at f/22 and canceled the flash (don�t remember the shutter speed). I�m looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

"My next question is will my built in flash be able to provide enough light for my photos? I took a few outside pictures this weekend when the sun was setting (but still plenty of natural light) and the pop up flash fired on the first picture (in full auto mode). For the second one I went to Apture priority mode and just for fun set the lens at f/22 and canceled the flash (don�t remember the shutter speed). I�m looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks again!"

Manuel, why not just turn off the flash completely for a while until you get used to shooting with the prime lens?

On-camera flashes don't have enough power to light whole landscapes; and avoiding the flash, you'll get nice, natural lighting in your photos, rather than the "deer in headlights" look.

If you are hand holding the camera in low light, use the larger maximum aperatures of your 50mm lens, rather than relying on the flash. In other words, the f/2.8, f/2.0, and f/1.7 settings. Of course, with a tripod and cable release you can use whatever aperature you like.

Good luck, and congratulations for going prime. :-)