Trying to get my head around the 50mm lenses for Hasselblad V

philip_dygeus2

<p>Hello everybody<br /> <br /> I'm looking for a 50mm for my 203FE and am wondering how the various lenses compare to and differ from each other. <br /> <br /> From the Hasselblad Historical site I gather there are these models: <br /> <br /> 50/4 Distagon C T* [1] <br /> 50/4 Distagon CF T* [1] <br /> 50/4 Distagon CF T* (FLE) [2] <br /> 50/4 Distagon CFi T* [2] <br /> 50/2.8 Distagon F T* [3] <br /> 50/2.8 Distagon FE T* [3] <br /> 50/4 Distagon T* ZV [4] <br /> <br /> I use my camera as a walkabout camera so low weight is important, but I'd like a lens that performs well too across the field and at all distances/apertures. <br /> <br /> With this in mind I am thinking that the choice is between the CF, CF (FLE) and CFi. The F and FE models are too heavy and I see no need for the wider aperture.<br /> <br /> Is it right that there are four optical formulae in the above lenses (numbers in square brackets)? <br /><br /> The CFi is typically more than twice the price of the CF and some 30-40% more than the CF (FLE) - is it that much better? <br /> <br /> Is there really a noticeable difference in output between these three lenses? <br /> <br /> And how does the ZV compare to the others? <br /> <br /> Thanks in advance for your help <br /> Philip</p>

philipus.com

Film is Photography

<p>First, there are a ton of similar queries already online. Here are a couple:<br>

http://www.photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00GJa4<br>

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/54003-hasselblad-cf-50mm-vs-cfi-50mm-lens.html<br>

And some info / advice:<br>

For optimum quality across the field at all apertures / distances, get one of the FLE versions (either CF FLE or CFi FLE). FLE stands for floating lens element. It's a second adjustment you make on the lens, based on your focusing distance, after you've dialed in focus. Yes, it makes a difference in sharpness vs the earlier C and CF versions you've listed (without FLE). <br>

Between the CF and CFi versions, there is no difference in the optical formula. The differences are mostly cosmetic. I do prefer the look and feel of the CFi lenses, but it might not be worth the difference in cost to you. I've had the CF FLE and the CFi FLE, and they both performed equally well. That is, beautifully at all apertures. <br>

My body is a 203FE, and I prefer the 2.8 FE version for the extra stop and the electronic contact between body and lens. It's sharp at all apertures, and there's not the extra FLE ring to adjust (that lens element adjusts automatically in this lens). If you're shooting fast in changing light or changing framing, it's quite useful to be able to use Aperture Priority and have the camera automatically adjust the aperture. The other lenses you list won't do that. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>The CFi is typically more than twice the price of the CF and some 30-40% more than the CF (FLE) - is it that much better?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Definitely not. As Ethan says it's a matter of cosmetics. I had the C* 50mm and never felt it underperformed at any aperture and distance to be honest, but the FLE version must be better at close distances. The obvious count against a C version is that the shutter may well need a CLA, and there are many who will tell you that the Synchro-Compur shutter parts are getting pretty rare. But, they will be quite a bit cheaper. I think the CFs and CFi are lighter than the older Cs.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>The C version is a large lens with an outdated Compur shutter. CF and later lenses have an improved formula and are considerably smaller,</p>

<p>CF lenses have floating elements with a separate setting ring for various distances. This improves the flatness of field, based on the distance of the principal subject. The CFi version is more ergonomic, and couples the floating elements with the focusing ring.</p>

<p>F and FE lenses have no internal shutter, and are intended for use with the focal plane shutter. The FE transmits aperture data to the internal meter in the F203 body.</p>

<p>For general use with film, the CF is probably the best choice, followed by the F or FE. I have the CF, and use it with a CFV16 digital back.</p>

<p>No Hasselblad can be considered "light"</p>

<p>Hasselblad 50mm:</p>

<p>C - original, usually silver<br /> C T* - same as above but with the T* coating<br /> CF - same optically as the C, but with a prontor shutter<br /> CF FLE - new optics, with pre-set floating group.<br /> CFi FLE - better flocking, less prone to flare (according to Zeiss)<br /> The optical formula changes only once on the "C" lenses, with the FLE. Arguably similar performance at infinity in the center, but improved close and edge performance with the FLE.</p>

<p>F - original F series, with a floating group<br /> FE - addition of electonic contacts. 2 versions cosmetically, always the same optically (although the filter ring on the latter version did not rotate when focusing).<br /> The F series was optically excellent, at the cost of size and weight.</p>

<p>The ZV was a later limited edition lens made outside the Hasselblad lens contract by Zeiss. It used the same optics as the FLE, but without the floating group (- there is no manual pre-set floating element ring, and I do not believe it was automatically compensated internally)</p>

<p>I've have and use the C (non T*, since sold), CF and F.<br /> The F is the best, but I often carry the CF because it's smaller and lighter.</p>

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

<p>Philip,</p>

<p>I would limit me to what Tom Chow has listed as following:</p>

<p>CF FLE - new optics, with pre-set floating group.<br />CFi FLE - better flocking, less prone to flare (according to Zeiss)<br />The optical formula changes only once on the "C" lenses, with the FLE. Arguably similar performance at infinity in the center, but improved close and edge performance with the FLE.<br>

F - original F series, with a floating group<br />FE - addition of electronic contacts. 2 versions cosmetically, always the same optically (although the filter ring on the latter version did not rotate when focusing).<br />The F series was optically excellent, at the cost of size and weight.<br>

Both the F & FE can ONLY be used on the 2000/20 series bodies, so you have one of th 500 Series body, Start with the CF FLE at the minimum entry point lens.</p>

<p>I have the 50mm CF FLE, 50mm F, & 50mm FE to use on my 501CM & 205TCC, & 2000FCM.</p>

<p> </p>