latest/best program to retrieve missing photos.

<p>I've looked at a bunch of posts regarding data recovery for missing photos, but some info is several years old. I have a folder pf photos taken in a particular year that went missing on my external hard drive, what is the best and safest program to retrieve them. I was looking for some photos for someone from a particular year, when I found out that the entire folder was missing.<br>

I know OnTrack is used for professional settings, what is good for the average person at home to use?<br>

also, besides backing photos up on 2 external hard drives, what other current practices are used to store photos off site that are safe.<br>

thanks<br>

Sheryl</p>

<p>My data loss problem happened ages ago and I was content with <a href="http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.aspx">ZAR</a> - It does a <a href="http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-photo-recovery-software/zar-image-recovery-review/">fine job </a>recovering files on a formatted or corrupted card for free; it seems not cheap when you need more than 4 folders recovered on a HDD. I assume you were looking for this article<br>

http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-photo-recovery-software/<br>

and hope it helps you. - Too long for me right now. (I couldn't insert a 3rd link. - there is a clickable one in the 2nd too)<br>

"Safe" is relative. - Cloud storage is expensive 9Euro / month for 2TB. Your best bet would be teaming up with a techy & trigger happy (in the photographic way!) friend in a slightly different disaster target zone. You should be both wild enough to need NAS on your own and use each other's system as a backup server via internet access. Personally I see the need for a NAS at 3.6TB & beyond. <br>

Real online storage is painfully(!) slow. - My admittedly unspectacular domestic connection would need 40days to download 1TB and 211 days to upload it to the cloud according to <em>math</em>. - I doubt it to get that chore done during just 1 year. - Relying on a friend worth visiting seems a much better idea than a just online accessible thing. <br>

The cheapest way to do off site storage is the classic: HDD in the locker at work.</p>

<p>I've used several recovery programs, but the best so far is EasUS. It's not free ($80), but recovers directories and the original file names. It works on hard drives and memory cards, even after (light) formatting.</p>

<p>I use a 16 TB RAID (Drobo) for storing images and other things. Images are backed up to optical (BD) discs on an ongoing basis. A RAID won't protect you from accidental deletion, but optical discs are good unless badly scratched or broken.</p>