film and digital

john_cooper9

<p>I like film for its touch and feel qualities. I like to shoot 6x9 with 4 backs: 6x9 for B/W, color neg, and transparency, and 6x7 for projection. Seems like a lot of trouble so why not use the new Fuji GFX next year? Then I realized that I would miss the camera movements of my Linhof Technikardan and the large image circle of the Super Angulons and Symmars.</p>

<p>I wouldn't be surprised if they'd bring out backs to attach MF MILCS to view cameras just like they flooded the market with solutions to adapt everything and the kitchen sink heritage lens wise onto APS & 35mm MILCs. - DSLR to graflock adapters do already exist.</p>

With Fuji having a record of "innovative" (read

weird) sensor designs, plus the fact that the

camera is vapourware at present; I wouldn't even

give it any brain space until it's available to actually

buy. And at a known price.

Even then I'd give it another 6 months for any bugs

to be found and ironed out.

<p>I never saw a slide larger than 6x6 projected. I can only imagine how beautiful 6x7 and larger look. I'm sorry I sold my Rollie projector.<br>

But my DSLR images looks pretty darn good on a 80" monitor. <br>

I shoot my B&W in 6x7 and color in digital. For me, it's the best of both worlds.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>With Fuji having a record of "innovative" (read weird) sensor designs</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would say "innovative" (read superior)!<br>

I love the results from the Fuji S5 Pro I picked up three years ago. It's like the perfect 35mm film camera, even though it's an APS-C DSLR! </p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Where it comes to affordable high resolution imaging medium format is still the way to go. One can get a medium format camera with a 6x9 back for $300, multiply that price by 10 and you start to enter into cameras that are debated as being better, D810, Sony A7R II what have you and you still don't have any lenses. Add your lens cost on top for a range of suitable lenses and its not even contestable. I'm sorry, digital is great but its not the be all and end all and despite the grain issue a 6x9 neg will still out resolve most other cameras in terms of detail. Medium format is so cheap now, you'd be a fool not to consider it as a viable option.</p>