Considering Canon 430EX III RT

alissa_volbeda

<p>I am not an expert, but just starting to learn and I want to add a speedlight to my kit, but I don't know where to start. <br>

I have a Canon 6D and was suggested the Canon 430eX III RT. That speedlight seems good from what I've read, but I'm not for sure. Additionally, I have no idea what I would need to to be able to use it off camera. I'm looking for any suggestions at reasonable prices.<br>

Questions:<br>

How do I attached the flash to a stand?<br>

Do I need a transmitter or anything to connect with the flash?<br>

If I want to go for a 2 flash system how do they interact?</p>

Does the flash need any extra battery pack?

<p>I'd like a soft box, but is there anything comparable or better?<br>

If I were to use a oft box how to I connect the flash to the stand to the box?</p>

<p>Looking for recommendations on light stands, soft boxes, umbrellas, transmitter, flash mount, or anything else I need.<br>

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>- They sell small brackets that you can use to attach a flash to a stand. Some are simple and inexpensive. Some are not. (Example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98613-REG/Cool_Lux_MD5300_MD_5300_Adjustable_Light_and.html)</p>

<p>- If you mount the flash unit on the camera's hot shoe it automatically connects to the camera. If you mount it off camera nearby (as on a flash bracket attached to the camera) you could use a sync cord. If you place the flash off camera at a distance (as on a light stand) you will need something to trigger it. There are many options available.</p>

<p>- I'm pretty sure that the 430EX III RT mounted on your camera can be used to control other compatible flash units placed at a distance.</p>

<p>- For most people, extra battery packs are generally not necessary. But it depends on how you plan to use your setup. </p>

<p>- Soft boxes and umbrellas are common. If you buy one (or more) to use with flash units they should come with stands that have the proper brackets to hold both the flash and the soft box/umbrella.</p>

<p>- For more detailed info, check sites such as Strobist (http://strobist.blogspot.de/), which has tutorials for beginners on how to use various lights and also offers a gear guide to help you make decisions on what to purchase.</p>

<p> </p>

David H

<p>If you will be using softbox most of the time I would get the 600 EX as you will probably need more power. I have the 430 II and it is a good flash. The RT capabililties will be useful for off camera work, but you can also get Phottix, Yongnuo transmitters and triggers which are much cheaper.</p>
Robin Smith