Nikon repair outsourced in the Eastern USA?

duncan_mcbride

<p>I just had an interesting experience with Nikon’s repair of my D7200. Last year when I had to<br />replace the focus motor in my 17-55 f/2.8 I logged it in to Nikon’s web site and sent the lens to <br />Melville, NY as instructed. For this repair I logged the D7200 into Nikon’s web site as before, <br />but then I was re-directed to the web site of Camtech ARC in Plainview, NY. I shipped it there, <br />they repaired it, and it seems to work fine. Each page of the Camtech web site says, “Camtech <br />ARC Inc is a Nikon Authorized Repair Center. You have been directed here from NikonUSA.com”<br /><br />Does anyone have any knowledge of what is going on with Nikon repair? I can think of <br />a few possibilities. <br /><br />Melville NY and Plainville NY are areas next to each other on Long Island NY. Possibly Nikon <br />has outsourced its repair business? It could be a spinoff – the same people under a new company <br />name – or a direct outsource to an unrelated company. Or a partial outsource of lower-end <br />equipment, with Nikon retaining the higher-end, maybe full-frame and high-end lenses? <br /><br />The change may be recent – my Repair Order number was just over 0002000. <br /><br />I would appreciate hearing from anyone with direct knowledge, and from any others with <br />experience with the new arrangement.<br /><br />For the curious: One day I picked up the D7200 and saw strange things in the viewfinder – the <br />image was significantly darker, focus was fuzzy, and instead of the focus point being lit in red, <br />there was a momentary red wash across the screen. A few tests showed autofocus was OK, <br />manual focus was way off, and exposure was 2-3 stops over. My guess is that something came loose <br />in the light path between the mirror and the viewfinder/autoexposure. The camera had not <br />been banged around, and I had used it the week before.<br /><br />The repair took a while – 3.5 weeks total, with one week in “parts hold” and another week in <br />“quality inspection.” Unfortunately the camera was 6 months out of warranty, so it took the <br />application of some money, but it was clearly worth repairing.<br /><br />While the camera was at Camtech I had agreed to do two shoots: a family event and something for an <br />organization I belong to: completely amateur, but I’m better than a cell phone. I brought out my <br />ancient D300, took hundreds of photos, and recalled why I like it so much. I’m glad I have had <br />the 7200 for 18 months for its much better high-ISO capability, better focus, more pixels, as <br />well as some minor things, but I wish Nikon had launched the D500 a couple years earlier. <br /><br />Duncan McBride</p>
Duncan McBride

<p>When my FM was new, maybe a month old, the mechanism locked up after rewinding a roll. <br>

I don't remember the details, but I was told to bring it to a nearby camera repair center, presumably Nikon authorized. (After repairing it, they suggested holding the rewind button in, and completing the last wind stroke. No more problems after that.)</p>

<p>I presume that Nikon contracts out some repairs, and does others at company owned places. </p>

<p>I don't have any idea which things they would do where. </p>

-- glen

<p>Were all of those 13 people in repair? Most likely they include some customer support and marketing people (13 would be a huge repair staff for a small country). Since Nikon has had some production problems (sensor availability is limited due to earthquake damage, delayed launch of DL series), they don't have much product sitting in warehouses so it doesn't make so much sense to have an extensive marketing stuff to try to sell something they don't have. Demand, of course, is also reduced.</p>

<p>In Finland Nikon had one or two repair people in house for a while, but then they outsourced repairs to another company (about ten years ago). I haven't had problems with the repair but once I had an issue with customer service regarding a firmware update as they initially would not accept my proof of purchase. It was resolved quickly. The actual repairs have been excellent.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for the information; interesting to get a picture of Nikon repair in Europe, too.<br>

<br />Except for Tim's response about Nikon 1 repair in Chicago, no one reported experience with Nikon Melville (or Plainville), New York USA. I would still be interested in hearing any fairly-recent -- past year or so -- experience there if anyone has it.</p>

<p>Duncan McBride</p>

Duncan McBride

<p>Nikon USA's recommendation is that if you are to the east of the Mississippi River, send to Melville, which is in Long Island, New York. To the west of the Mississippi, send to Nikon Los Angeles for repair.</p>

<p>Since I have lived on both coasts, I have used both facilities, although only a few times, thanks the the fact that at least my Nikon equipment doesn't need repairs very often. Both Melville and LA have served me pretty well, but Nikon repair isn't inexpensive. My experiences with Melville were from the 1990's.</p>