Fujifilm Neopan 400: substitute recommendation

<p>Hello, Fujifilm Neopan 400 has been out of production for some time now and I am wondering if anyone could suggest a similar film as a substitute. I've always like that film and ran out of my freezer stock about a year ago. I've played around with HP5 but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I'm looking for. What do you think is a close substitute for Neopan 400, if any? Thanks.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. To the presented list of emulsions add the Ultrafine Xtreme 400 (UFX400) name. It is rumored to be an offering from Karman Industries, the firm that purchased Ilford some time ago, similar to their Kentmere emulsion. I have been using the UFX400 material in both 35 & 120 formats for several years and the negs, IMHO, surpass any Neopan in my folders. Having both 35 & 120 films also allows consistant work with my pyro staining developers. This film is the flattest I have used, so scanning is super EZ, even without special strip holders.<br /> The 400 emulsion, and a 100, are only available on Ebay or thru there website. Aloha, Bill</p><div>00eKqz-567548784.jpg.3ec9b141f11ff0d83044133ad68f98fe.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Emir,</p>

<p>I have similar tastes. I liked Neopan 400, and mostly shot Kodak BW400CN (similar but grain-free.)</p>

<p>I've auditioned a bunch of different film stocks. Like you, HP5 wasn't exactly to my liking. The best I've found is Acros 100 exposed at ISO 160, or Kodak Tri-X, exposed at ISO 800; both processed in Diafine. There is some grain, but the tonality is nice, lots of detail in the shadows and mids, and a little sparkle in the highlights.</p>