Genuine leather vs synthetic leatherettes

zarko_panic

<p>Hi All,<br>

I was wondering if anyone happens to have a genuine cowhide leather trim on their Leica M and what's your experience with it? The "sandpaper" trim on my Leica MP keeps getting unglued in the corners and it's annoying as hell. <br>

Thanks,<br>

Z. </p>

<p>The appeal of real leather is well established from British motor cars to camera covers.<br>

Below is my "red" Exakta in genuine kidskin. I love it, but the synthetics are often more in keeping with the original cover, and probably more durable.<br>

"bling" or "authenticity" -- you decide, :)</p><div>00eL7H-567587784.jpg.6427c4a0b5de997d2cf8debc19b104ab.jpg</div>

<p>I'm with Mukul Dube on this question - although I've only used Griptac on other bodies. Reskinning a Leica isn't rocket science, I've done about 5 bodies now and although tedious, the end result is outstanding. If you don't want to do it yourself, there are excellent professionals who routinely do this. BTW the leather options by Cameraleather are varied and awesome.</p>

<p>Hello Zarko. For sequring the corners and small sections of the camera cover, what ever material you have, use Contact Cement, not rubber cement. Using a tooth pick, apply a "light" coat to both the backing material AND the camera body spot. Allow both pieces to dry 3-5 minutes and then use finger pressure to mate them. Like a good, metal weld, this spot is now more secure than the other parts of the camera. Aloha, Bill</p>