amir_t.

Hi

In DSLR Cameras the mirror blocks the light to sensor

until you press capture button.

But in mirrorless cameras the sensor is always exposed

to light.

My question is when the camera is turned off, is the

sensor still exposed to light?

Does it damage or shorten the sensor quality?

Thank

I am no expert elex engineer but I think not. My video cam in the carport has been ON for years and I see no degradation of the silicon chip picture. Photons in the visible spectrum are not all that powerful as radiation goes to my understanding. Are you really concerned? The voltages generated are indeed small and have to be amplified to do anything at all with the light energy. Anyone else have a view or better speculaton on Bayer arrays or the physical behaviour of CMOS chips?

<p>@John: IDK, but <em>if </em>they have shutters those can't treat the sensor like film since the sensor is needed to generate the EVF image and do the AF thing.<br>

Removing the lens from a Fuji I see sensor. - Only mirrorless (with a stretch) that can keep sensors shutter covered would be Epson & Leica M. <br>

A MILC can use a shutter the same way as a DSLR in live view: close it an instant before the exposure and opening it up ASAP after it to continue feeding the screen or EVF.</p>

<p>The problem you are worried about is substantially the same as the problem that range finder cameras with cloth shutters, such as the film Leicas, have. The issue is that an image of the sun is focused on the shutter or sensor and burns a hole. With the relatively low-energy photons of visible light, heat is your only worry. As Barry suggested, the problem can occur if:<br>

1) The lens is focused at or near infinity. (This can be assumed to be true most of the time),<br>

2) The camera is resting in a position such that the sun might pass through its field of view, and<br>

3) The lens cap is not on. <br>

In my youth when I owned a Leica III (don't ask what happened), I tried to teach my self to always set it down on its baseplate if it was not practical to put it in my bag. If I was in that much of a hurry putting on the lens cap or de-focusing the lens were not likely to happen. </p>

<p>I would not worry about a camera which has been in a store window. It would have to be a south-facing window with no building across from it and the camera would have to be somehow placed that the lens was pointed somewhat upward. If the camera was on its back, the lens would point toward the ceiling and not be a problem.</p>

<p>Doug, I too burned a hole in a M6 when I first got it by shooting sunsets and having the sun in the center focused at infinity and the lens fully closed to f16. Its just like burning a leaf with a magnifying lens. if the light is focused to its tightest spot, yes, you can burn a cloth shutter of a Leica. I've not heard of a sensor being damaged from it though, but I suppose its possible. I really wouldn't worry about it though. If you are, just don't point your camera directly in the sun for a long period of time focused to infinity at its highest aperture or like I said use a lens cap.</p>

Only the focused rays of the direct sun would contain enough electromagnetic energy to burn in. And window glass also absorbs a lot... Reflected light hits sensors all the time. But it may only last ten or eleven years from oxidation and radons and air pollution even so. But negotiate for a demo price is worth trying. All sensors are not created equal though and some bum ones have been found in production and presumably afterwards. I had a CCD replaced from a Sony sensor at one time.