Nikon Wednesday 2016: #47

Matt Laur

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>Important:</em></strong> please keep your image under 1000 pixels on the longest side for in-line viewing, and <em><strong>please keep the FILE SIZE UNDER 300kb</strong></em>. Note that <strong>this includes photos hosted off-site</strong> (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc).<br /><br />Are you <strong>new to this thread?</strong> The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are <strong><a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">right here</a></strong>:<a href="/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km" rel="nofollow">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a>. This forum's moderators are allowing up to three images per week, so share some work!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Hello all, and a good Nikon Wednesday to you. A busy week here, and digging through some work from back in September. Here's a drone-based shot from a real estate project in rural Virginia - a lovely home sitting amid the crops on an oxbow of the Shenandoah. Location, location, location (if you like to get away from the 'burbs!). This flying robot was up about 225 feet and carrying a modest beater Nikon D3200 with a lowly (but lightweight!) kit lens - and did just what I needed it to do. What's everyone been up to? Share some photos!</p><div>00eFDX-566541984.thumb.jpg.3fb8ad666f1970018f3ca087069fc715.jpg</div>

<p>The classic images are all a bit fake, with people throwing sand into light beams with shovels. There were a couple of cases of sand actually naturally blowing around, but now I can't distinguish them. There was a cry of "shoot" as the guides ran out of the way (and we had the canyon blocked with a wall of tripods, briefly); I exposed for the highlights, and although none of these are multi-shot HDR, I span the shutter dial across multiple shots in the hope of getting the right exposure - or right enough. Heavily post-processed in DxO - I actually have some banding at ISO64 because of how far I'm pushing it in some cases. In this particular one, I gave up and let the highlight blow - it looks more natural than the alternative.</p><div>00eFEv-566547284.thumb.jpg.ceeb435d29bdfd7e1e53efd1d40c7f04.jpg</div>

<p>I was hoping there'd be a chance to walk through the canyon after the staged shots (without the tripod), but officially there wasn't; I risked swapping in a fish-eye while in the canyon, with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't trash the camera with sand. Fortunately I think I got away with it, but I didn't have time for any particularly interesting pictures - so here's a rush of people capturing a light beam instead (in the interests of <em>one</em> of these not being exactly the same as everyone else's shots of Antelope...)</p><div>00eFEx-566547384.thumb.jpg.7235c5c9e5c5b9d8a9fbece7fcc1652e.jpg</div>