Servicing non USA import gear

mark_stephan2

<p>Although I don't own 3rd party gear I'd like to where to send a lens or a body if it goes? Just curious, my friends have spent a lot of money on Import gear and has never had a problem. They also argue that the lens has a store warranty. I'm wanting to buy a 24-70/4L and 3rd party prices are much better than Canon USA warrantied lens. When I do it'll be a USA model.</p>

<p>Canon USA has the habit of servicing grey market Canon gear the same way they service US-warranted gear provided the owner can provided a date store receipt. Canon USA won't service a Sigma or Tamron lens, but they will service a Canon lens.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Thanks, Henry. That's good of them and it's good of you to let us know. <br>

The lenses I've bought new are regular import. I do often buy used, though, and the buyer rarely has a 'store receipt' for those or even knows if the item was "grey" or not when new.</p>

<p>FWIW my experience with Canon UK has been that they are happy to service out-of-warranty Canon camera equipment and do not ask for any proof of purchase or check for UK-only model numbers. The repair prices seem reasonable and they will not charge for something that they couldn't fix. Older lenses and bodies go out of service, typically about ten years after the last new one was sold, but that is independent of what country they were bought in.</p>