An Exceptional Lens

<p>Prior to their arrival I'd decided that I'd sell the 35-105mm as I have more than enough lenses of that general description. However, having checked out the 300mm and being delighted with it's performance on a Sony A7r, I swapped it for the 35-105mm lens, just to see if it was up to the usual Zuiko quality. The results astonished me; here was an old lens, not far away from the "kit" class, that was turning in results comparable to some of my expensive modern zooms. Becoming intrigued, I spent an hour testing it informally against some of the better prime lenses of the era, including Canon, Minolta and Pentax f/1.4 standard lenses, and the results seemed every bit as good. My favourite short zoom has been the Minolta MD 35-70 f/3.5, and the Zuiko out-performed it in every respect. So, I decided not to sell it.<br /><br />Since then, I've been using it frequently on the Sony full-frame digital cameras, finding it's excellent close-focus capabilities well-suited to the botanical work I seem to get involved with. It has good contrast and a particularly smooth colour rendition, with a lovely creamy bokeh at every aperture. Here's a sample:</p><div>00eHSs-566942484.jpg.55ee9721b91cc1583ff3014f9cc853eb.jpg</div>

<p>Introduced for the OM range of cameras circa 1984, it's a one-touch zoom with a configuration consisting of 16 elements in 12 groups, with a 6 bladed aperture. In standard mode the lens focused down to 150cm, closing to 31cm in close-focus mode. This copy has quite pronounced and beautifully-coloured coatings, which may suggest it was an example from later in the production run, as I understand it. Being of metal construction it weighs in at 465 grams/16.4 ounces and extends from 85mm to 120mm, through the zoom range. It's a perfect size for the small Sony cameras. However, enough of this digital blasphemy; I decided to fit it to an old OM-10 body to see if it could replicate it's excellent performance on film. Here's how it looked:</p><div>00eHSt-566942584.jpg.f60f8e8b96434268c72c1b0cb2c54b46.jpg</div>

<p>I took it out for a torture test in the typical intense light of a New Zealand late afternoon, and the lens performed extremely well. I'll post some examples; notice (for example) in the image tagged "Shrubbery" how the lens held highlight detail in a sunlit wall painted with glossy white paint, the texture of the original saw pattern being visible. Speaking from experience, I don't have many lenses that manage <em>that</em>. Mind you, some credit must go to the excellent combination of Arista EDU Ultra 100 and PMK Pyro. Please appreciate that there's not much in the way of art involved here; the subject matter was chosen to challenge the lens, so please excuse the repetition. Scans are from an Epson V700 using Silverfast SE software.</p><div>00eHSu-566942684.thumb.jpg.c3c190e7f1c1095521fe5dc5d312bf20.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks <strong>Marc,</strong> the tests suggest "exceptional" isn't too far off the mark. As I said, I'd have to rate is among the best zoom lenses in my kit. And thank you <strong>Raghu</strong>, <strong>Dave E</strong>, <strong>Ed</strong>, <strong>Mark</strong>, <strong>Martin</strong>, <strong>Erko</strong> and <strong>Mike</strong> for your input and kind words.</p>

<p>Always nice when you get something unexpected and it turns out to be good.. As one mentioned though...it's hard to imagine in your capable hands anything less than good. You are inspiring so many of us. Thanks for going for the OM body combination... in Lincoln's words.. It's altogether fitting and proper that we do this ...:)</p>